When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on dating an old bike in a photo

-

Groundhog

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi- thought I'd see if I could narrow down a date for a friend's family photo- anyone have a good guess?
Bike.jpg

Thanks! I'm away from my books, etc. but was guessing around TOC, maybe Columbia? Any parts that look a little earlier? I looked at the chainwheel database but all I could find was Schwinn, Rollfast, and Hawthorne and all those 4-ring wheels had larger rings with less gap between than this seems to.

Last edited:
That clip style headset makes it look European to me. Did pre-1900 American bikes use this type head set?

A European bike would be unlikely as the photo was taken in rural North Carolina. I just assumed it was older than the 1915 date he was guessing for it and it seemed close to the TOC bikes I've seen

Manny of the bicycles used in Cabinet photos belonged to the Photography studio taking the photo not the person in the photo.

Back