When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on Evans Sonic Scout

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Can someone please help me pin down the year on this ladies Sonic Scout?

The serial number is B177962624.
It is a 15" frame measured from the top of seat lug to the center of crank arm.
The crank arms are 5.75" long.

The wheels are missing (among other things) but the frame appears to have used the smaller 24" wheels. It was a green, close to a teal green color?

Here is a link to an Imgur album with photographs and additional research info I have just started collecting.

This bike's rack attachment and design at the seat tube differs from the mid to late 1950s models I have seen in ads. I am thinking this bicycle may be early 50s or even late 1940s?

Just a note - I wrote a couple of days ago to Mr. Dixon for assistance with a serial number look up/date as mentioned in a previous Evans thread here, but received an automated response that they were moving. So, I am not sure about getting an answer from him, at least for the time being.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

20170816_152659.jpg

Last edited:
The tough part to find will be the front fender, but be patient. The middleweight stuff can still be found with due diligence, but it's not always cheap anymore. Evans was pretty much exclusive in using those flat, square fenders. I do not believe this had a tank, though I could be wrong. The rack is original.

Evans built some pretty unique bikes. They aren't valuable because of their obscurity (most people don't know or remember them at all) but I guarantee that you will be the only one in your area with an Evans. What you do with it is up to you.

The tough part to find will be the front fender, but be patient. The middleweight stuff can still be found with due diligence, but it's not always cheap anymore. Evans was pretty much exclusive in using those flat, square fenders. I do not believe this had a tank, though I could be wrong. The rack is original.

Evans built some pretty unique bikes. They aren't valuable because of their obscurity (most people don't know or remember them at all) but I guarantee that you will be the only one in your area with an Evans. What you do with it is up to you.

Thank you for the reply. The front fender is with the bike (shown separately in the photo album). I appreciate your insights on this one.

Michael,

Your Sonic Scout is a '55 model, which was the replacement for the Evans Special "equipped" model around mid-1955. Basically the exact same bike, but the color combo changed from Charcoal/White on the Special to Green/White on the Sonic Scout.
I don't have literature specific to your bike, but here's the early-'55 Special specs for reference...

20170818_090814.jpg

20170818_090028.jpg

Hope this is helpful :)

Michael,

Your Sonic Scout is a '55 model, which was the replacement for the Evans Special "equipped" model around mid-1955. Basically the exact same bike, but the color combo changed from Charcoal/White on the Special to Green/White on the Sonic Scout.
I don't have literature specific to your bike, but here's the early-'55 Special specs for reference...

View attachment 662344
View attachment 662345

Hope this is helpful :)

Perfect! Thank you so much for your time and sharing the information!

Back