When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on this one

-

hollywood23

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Need help on this one, maybe Indian?

I have looked all over to figure who the maker is and i am clueless.Going to restore it for the wife. I think its a 1921 but not for sure.It has some of the Indian looks.Thanks for your help.
DSC_5839-1.jpg

DSC_5843-1.jpg

DSC_5834-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5841.jpg
    DSC_5841.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_5842.jpg
    DSC_5842.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_5845.jpg
    DSC_5845.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_5838.jpg
    DSC_5838.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_5835.jpg
    DSC_5835.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
sent pm... thinking Elgin or Hawthorne, but I'm certainly no expert...

Last edited:
Great "motobike"! I'd say it looks to be a Hawthorne based on the "snowflake" chain-ring...Could be late 20's to mid 30's, no one has de-coded the serial #'s on these early bikes. There are a few clues to go by, for example, the headbadge holes, how they are spaced and where they are located (vertical vs. horizontal). Let's see some pics of the other one you found. Look for other threads on this site concerning these bikes, you'll learn a lot and still be left wondering too! Oh, the rear drop-out chain adjusters can be another clue, as different mfg.'s used different styles, I believe yours are the most common type...good luck and welcome!

I agree with Bud’s general assessment; I’ll add that the actual manufacturer is definitely H.P. Snyder. They built bikes for many brands and retailers, and the sprocket and the badge holes mean this one was likely built for Montgomery Ward who badged their line of bikes as Hawthornes.

The fork, the width of the rear of the frame, and the presence of what is likely the original rear wheel show that this bike was built for balloon tires rather than the earlier single tube type wheels so the bike could not date to as early as 1921. With those features, the bike can be pinned down to 1934-1935 with quite fair accuracy.

I had the same faux Eames chair but sold it to buy bikes.....now I'm sitting on the floor! Just as well, there are too many bikes in the living room to squeeze in a chair.

Everything visible in the photos looks original to the bike with the exception of the saddle which is at least a few years newer than the rest of the bike.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a majestic lamp also. Yea for the chairs i restore them i have 5 of them in the garage from the eames style to the Mr. chair all made by plycraft.
DSC_1729-1.jpg

DSC_1728-1.jpg

Back