When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on year date Roadmaster 1950s

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
I picked up this Roadmaster yesterday and I am hoping to determine the specific year without removing paint from the bb shell. It looks like it is a 1953 model but that last digit is very faint.

It looks so clean I thought this might be a repaint but I think it was just kept out of the sun - opinions?

Other than the tires it looks OG but anyone that wants to chime in on details would be most welcome.

Shoutout to Shawn (freqman1) for his very helpful website on CWC serial numbers.

Thanks!

RM2.MP.jpg

RM3.jpg

rm4.jpg

RM5.jpg

RM6.jpg

RM7.jpg

Last edited:
The paint does look original and in very good condition. During that time the car manufactures started using a real fine sparce metallic paint. Looks as though someone replaced the fender braces so that lead me to take a closer look at the paint finish and details.

Thank you for the comments thus far. Further insights to some specific questions would be most appreciated!

What model in the '53 line is it?

Is it missing a ball headlight?

Realizing that the fender struts have been replaced, are the rack struts correct?

Thoughts on why this has a chrome rack? From what I can see on the 'net, the 50s ladies version would have had a matching painted rack. What model Roadmaster (if any) would have used a chrome rack as OEM? Is it possible/probable that this chrome rack was stock?

Thank you for your consideration!

Thank you for the comments thus far. Further insights to some specific questions would be most appreciated!

What model in the '53 line is it?

Is it missing a ball headlight?

Realizing that the fender struts have been replaced, are the rack struts correct?

Thoughts on why this has a chrome rack? From what I can see on the 'net, the 50s ladies version would have had a matching painted rack. What model Roadmaster (if any) would have used a chrome rack as OEM? Is it possible/probable that this chrome rack was stock?

Thank you for your consideration!
Chrome rack is not original. Original rack would have the same style truss rods that are on the front, on the rear rack. It would have a ball light originally. It is a 1953. Here's some pics of my 1953 Pleasure Liner for comparison. I have a new classic Cruiser seat on it for more cush for my toosh. Look at the rack on mine. Note the attachment rods. That's what is correct.

20220612_150543.jpg

20220612_150303.jpg

If you're looking for a nicer set of front fork truss rods, I have a pr f/s cheap.
Thank you for reaching out. I have not decided what to do with her yet so I will hold off on your offer for now. If I clean her and the rods are disappointing I will see if they are still available. If I flip her, I will pass on your offer to the new owner.

Happy Holidays!

Chrome rack is not original. Original rack would have the same style truss rods that are on the front, on the rear rack. It would have a ball light originally. It is a 1953. Here's some pics of my 1953 Pleasure Liner for comparison. I have a new classic Cruiser seat on it for more cush for my toosh. Look at the rack on mine. Note the attachment rods. That's what is correct.

View attachment 1751989

View attachment 1751990
I have a really nice set of these green fenders too!

Back