When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help restoring New Departure hubs

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

anders1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Does anyone service New Departure hubs? The rear hub is what I’m most concerned with but I would like to have them both done by someone with more experience than myself. Front is a model M. These are for my 1912 IJ roadster. Thanks
DCA5087B-D82E-4C56-AE4C-E55E1C4C758C.jpeg

B78F2AEB-BACC-4131-8416-D9FF075216BF.jpeg

If you are going to collect bicycles you might as well learn how to do it yourself. Between all the exploded views that are available and people here to help you this should be relatively easy. V/r Shawn
Yeah your wright, maybe I’ll give it a shot. My biggest problem is finding the time. I have worked 75 hours a week as a nurse for the past 4 years. I can barely find time for sleep. I will be needing a lock ring as stated above if anyone has one laying around. Thanks

If you do it yourself. Do the front one first, they're easy. Clean everything to where you could just about eat scrambled eggs off of them.
Then regrease don't be stingy but not too much either. Free play is like Harley push rods, "round and round no up and down (left right)".
Take pix as you go (if need be) and reverse to assemble.

Cheers

Got it! I might post as I’m going on the rear. I’m confident that I can take it apart, grease and put back together. I just want to be sure to solve any problems while I’m inside. Ive only spun it by hand, but when I reverse the cog to stop, it seems like a lot of play. I have to spin it back about 1/4 of a turn before it catches. If I understood more of how it’s supposed to work then I can improve the functionality a bit. I will figure it out and ask questions if I get stuck. Thanks for the feedback bud. Anthony

I have delved about into the Model A rear hub. I am not an expert but have learned a lot recently if want P/m with questions I will try and help.

I’m sure ill be calling upon you. At the least I will update with progress. Really appreciate it bud. Anthony

Back