When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help sorting out this Monark.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Metalman

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked this up today at a swap meet for $30. As you can tell it has the serial plate on the bottom bracket. Serial number is A0038335. According to the serial number data I found on here by John, it shouldn't have a serial number lower than 118106. So, what year is it? I'm finding a lot of discrepancies on Monark bikes.

20230311_135715.jpg

20230311_135923.jpg

Your 24" bike is prewar and is typical of '40-1 serail number placement. Postwar has the data plate and like said above is just mis-stamped.
Hey Shawn, do you think that 24” prewar could be a ladies frame that was modified? I’ve never seen one like that from the factory.

Your 24" bike is prewar and is typical of '40-1 serail number placement. Postwar has the data plate and like said above is just mis-stamped.
I dated it from 38-41 by identifying the New Departure brake arm. So, that makes sense. You're the first person to acknowledge the serial number on the rear. EVERYTHING I have read states it should be on the bottom bracket, But I've seen at least one other stamped here.

Hey Shawn, do you think that 24” prewar could be a ladies frame that was modified? I’ve never seen one like that from the factory.
I've been in the collision/restoration industry since 1974. I fabricate/repair parts for cars worth $75k - $1.3M. ("Metalman") I can pick apart just about anything not factory. I can assure you that nothing has been modified. It has some repairs from the frame cracking behind the kickstand mount and that's it. I stripped paint from that vertical bar and it's not been added either. But, it does draw questions since no one has seen one like it.

Last edited:
Back