When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to I.D. crank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dayton Vintage Speed

Look Ma, No Hands!
20181202_115134_HDR.jpg

Here's the crank in question. It's a one piece crank.

20181202_115733.jpg

The chain ring at a glance looks similar to a D&J or a Halladay but it's my understanding that those were 2 piece crank assemblies and the crank I have doesn't look the same. Any thoughts? Ideas? Just a note: I got this with a Hibbard's badged Jenkins frame. I do not believe it to be original to the bike but could have been added at some point in its life. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ee3a4bc0257e4b9fbfaaab4ac34eec33png-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 16.26.35.png

Could be a transitional configuration, with 1 piece crank (hefty) and 4 drive pins, requiring a separate “spider” adapter.
More detailed pictures of those adapter pieces, removed from the crank, would be interesting.
I can not see what transfers the torque from the crank to the spider.

I don’t get the idea of being able to remove a sprocket without removing the crank.

I see (on a bigger computer) that what I first thought that I saw as separate pieces, (have seen before), may instead be an expensive "one piece" with the "spider" milled into the crank, or was it brazed on? Also, it would be nice to see the other bottom bracket parts (special cones, bearings, etc.) that we know that you also must have saved.

Last edited:
Drive pins are part of the crank. They do not appear to come off.

20181202_132910.jpg

20181202_132811.jpg

A visible forge line can be seen on the center axis of the crank. The crank has been rifle drilled for oiling as well.

20181202_133127.jpg

20181202_134247.jpg

20181202_134257_HDR.jpg

I'm missing the lock nut for the left side.

Last edited:
Back