When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to identify old ELGIN bicycle Serial Number C125250

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
R

ray1947

I just picked this up this week and need to identify the model and year. Also asking opinions about keep it as is or paint/restore. Pros and cons about value for original rusted paint condition or restored.

You can also contact me at [email protected]

Thank you very much,

Ray

Attachments

• NK0_2579.jpg
    NK0_2579.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 859
  • NK0_2580.jpg
    NK0_2580.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 814
  • NK0_2617.jpg
    NK0_2617.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 906
  • NK0_2595.jpg
    NK0_2595.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 959
  • NK0_2648.jpg
    NK0_2648.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 923
A few more pictures of this old Elgin

A few more pictures of this old Elgin

Attachments

• NK0_2616.jpg
    NK0_2616.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 643
  • NK0_2607.jpg
    NK0_2607.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 564
  • NK0_2642.jpg
    NK0_2642.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 631
  • NK0_2643.jpg
    NK0_2643.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 567
Should be a 1938 Columbia built Elgin. The serial # indicates that it was built towards the ind of 38. I think the bike looks great. I would just go through the mechanics and ride it.

Beautiful patina on that old Elgin! Its perfect as it is, do what RustySpoke66 said and you can't go wrong!

Any ideas to remove the rust from the paint and a source for spokes replacements? Apparently the bicycle was painted dark red with white.

Thanks

Thanks for your opinion. I'm looking for more information about these Elgin bicycles on the internet, but Elgin bicycles apparently were not as popular as Schwinn. If there is any website with images or documentation about Elgin bicycles, please add to this post.

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Elgin was the brand name for Sears stores, so we definitely know it came from Sears. There were actually several makers making Elgins for Sears. Try this site and see if you find something comparable :)
www.oldroads.com

You can find old Sears catalogs on the net, and there's also an Elgin/JC Higgins/Hawthorne book by Jim Hurd and TA Gordon, which is copies of catalog pages from 1933-65. Sometimes seen for sale on ebay, Scott may have some here in the Cabe bookstore, or know where to find a copy.

Thanks for the info. I cleaned it up a little yesterday and it ran great, but need to replace the tires and tubes. Do you have a good source for these balloon tires at a good price?

Thanks

Ray

I'm looking for a rear drop stand for this Elgin. Can I use those used by Schwinn's?

Back