When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with 1969 Deluxe Typhoon 3 Speed with Springer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinn did make a caliper brake kit for springer forks but they are very rare.

This is exactly why I come to this forum!!! I never knew Schwinn made anything like this. Any idea where there may be one for sale?

Those bolt on fork leg brakes were a 50's thing. The set that sold in that link were offered at $175. You willing to spend that much? The early geared Americans came from the factory with those brakes, and only because they were American made, by Schwinn.

1575351176672.png

They were still available in 1962 to retrofit a bike that didn't have a drilled fork and for springers.

1575351367527.png

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't be willing to spend $175 on those brakes for myself (I hate hand brakes) but the bike is for my dad and he's already a bit older and wants to ride it around town. Just wanna make sure when he wants to stop the bike he can do it at the drop of a dime.

And whats the alternative solution?
The only other alternative I know of is to fit a drum brake front wheel. Sturmey Archer makes a decent drum brake hub, but you'll need to get it laced into a wheel, and it will be obviously newer than the rest of the bike. Schwinn used their own front drum brakes on some of the '50's and earlier bikes, but those are probably going to be even more expensive than the rim brakes.

Back