When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with a 1899 Columbia shaft drive

-

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Recently I bought a restored 1899 Columbia shaft drive woman's safety. The other day when my wife was riding it it lost all connection to the rear wheel. When we went out everything was fine but with a "pop" all pedal control stopped. The hub now is very loose between the rear stays.

I do not have a diagram to look at.

Would anyone with shaft drive experience be willing to private message and walk me though adjustment and repair?

Thanks in advance
Ed

Thanks again Volcipedist Co. I took my Columbia apart today any discovered the problem. The rear outer Jam nut was not "jamming" which allowed the bevel gear to loosen on the hub and disingage. It is a very interesting setup and I am thankful there are no broken parts.
Question What kind of a wide bladed screw driver did you find to be able to hold the axle slotted nut while at the same time adjusting the jam nut?

Thanks again Volcipedist Co. I took my Columbia apart today any discovered the problem. The rear outer Jam nut was not "jamming" which allowed the bevel gear to loosen on the hub and disingage. It is a very interesting setup and I am thankful there are no broken parts.
Question What kind of a wide bladed screw driver did you find to be able to hold the axle slotted nut while at the same time adjusting the jam nut?

Im sorry for the very late reply. I used a large screwdriver and placed the tip sideways, across each of the two slots. Im sure there is a special tool (or a right way) to do this though.

riding these old bikes is like taking grandpa for a jog...might be ok, might not

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but it is in line with the topic. I am in the middle of a teardown/resurrection of my 1899 right now and I was wondering if anybody can recall the thread orientation of the driveshaft itself? I am looking to take the square nut inside the bottom bracket off to clean and service but I don't want to force anything. I think standard threading makes sense considering the direction it will be spinning, but I can't be sure. Thanks!

Back