When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with a date on a Raleigh built Hercules Royal Prince

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1959firearrow

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Need help with a date on a Raleigh built? Hercules Royal Prince

Alright I'm trying to date this Raleigh built Hercules Royal Prince it was the first bike my grandfather ever bought brand new and the only bike he owned up until a couple of months ago. He says he can't ride anymore and wanted me to have this and my grandmothers first bike. The hard part is he couldn't remember the year he bought it, all he said was sometime in the 50s. Well this may be just about the nicest quality bike I have ever ridden and I would like to put date on it. It has a Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub and shifter the only number I found on the was 5. Its got a miller headlight and generator setup also. Any help would be appreciated. The precision built quality of these bikes is awesome!

Attachments

• Hercules.jpg
    Hercules.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 506
  • Hercules 3.jpg
    Hercules 3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Hercules 2.jpg
    Hercules 2.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Hercules 4.jpg
    Hercules 4.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Hercules 5.jpg
    Hercules 5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I'm not sure what that it is Raleigh built I was just told that it was by someone, could be a Hercules built bike but I don't know what to look for.

That's definitely a Hercules-built bike. The dropouts and lugs are not RI stuff.

You can find more info on dating the hub here.

Naw, that's a Herculese Herculese. Compare the fuller chainguard, different fender contours, and lugs with little ornamental eyes to this Raleigh. Also, there is the chainring and the different handlebars.
IMG_6342-1.jpg
DSCN1336-1.jpg
DSCN1332-1.jpg

Raleigh and Herculese joined hands in about '59 so I'm guessing that this is a pre '59 bike and it's not from Nottingham. I'd say late 50s but what do I know?

Yes it is findlay ohio(im from pandora my grandfather has lived his whole life in findlay) There are two tags on it from 75, a normal state issued tag and a round tag my grandfather made that mounts between the fork and wheel with the license number and findlay ohio on it. Do you live around here? I do see alot of differance between the raleigh and the hercules now.

You should look me up! By the way guys I made the mistake of thinking the Sturmey Archer shifter meant it had a Sturmy 3 speed, Instead it has a Hercules B type 5. Somewhere I red that Hercules used Sturmey hubs and shifters until they started making their own. So I'm gonna guess this is between the years they switched over which would be????? Called my Grandpa to ask if he ever changed the shifter he said "no I only changed the rear tire and tube once" so that led me to believe the switchover theory?

Back