When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with a prewar frame ID

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy folks! Picked up this frame, fork, and fenders this morning and I’m stumped. At first I thought it was a Pierce single bar roadster because of the fork. The serial number (E5616) doesn’t match with the Pierce formatting however which leads me to believe frame and fork may not be matching (although I may be wrong). That said, I still believe the fork to be Pierce unless someone knows otherwise. I’m also now leaning towards Schwinn for the frame but with no real confidence. Based on the pics below, I’m hoping some of you fine folks can set me straight. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!!!

If the stays are oval shaped at the bottom bracket (can’t clearly see), then Excelsior Michigan City Indiana might be a match(?).

Does the frame accommodate 28” wheels, (or later 26” lightweights)?

What does the head tube look like; (red in 1st picture; white in 5th close-up)?

Last edited:
If the stays are oval shaped at the bottom bracket (can’t clearly see), then Excelsior Michigan City Indiana might be a match(?).

Does the frame accommodate 28” wheels, (or later 26” lightweights)?

What does the head tube look like; (red in 1st picture; white in 5th close-up)?
You may have hit the nail on the head. Here it is next to another Excelsior Michigan City… and it accommodates, at the largest, 26” wheels. The serial number striking seems to match as well. There is a difference in the chainstay bridge, but that may just be an evolutionary difference with the single bar being newer.

Back