When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with a small (20"?) CWC frame I found

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That Blue bike Archie Sturmer posted is not the same frame as yours or the one in the Worthpoint sales listing. Check out bottom bracket chain stay area. No dropstand ears on the Worthpoint piece and the serial number is just a few numbers off from yours.

Maybe @CWCMAN can shed some light on this. ;)

Last edited:
That Blue bike Archie Sturmer posted is not the same frame as yours or the one in the Worthpoint sales listing. Check out bottom bracket chain stay area. No dropstand ears on the Worthpoint piece and the serial number is just a few numbers off from yours.

Maybe @CWCMAN can shed some light on this. ;)
You're right the blue bike isn't identical, but it's the only time I've ever seen anything similar to mine represented as a 47-48. The Worthpoint bike looks right but I know they recycled serial numbers, and from what I have read, the bikes with the Cw stamp are late 40's, which is one of the things that has really thrown me. If the Cw stamp wasn't on my bike everything would make a lot more sense.

In my searching I came across this, it also looks very similar, but again, my serial number would indicate mine is late 40's. ‍

anymore info
Your first instincts were likely correct, regarding the 1947-48 'D' CWC bike. It may have worn a CWC badge (e.g., Roadmaster), or another retailer's label.
The 2 pictures of pre-war examples of different designs (size and model) did help confirm that it was unlikely to find pre-war examples of the same design, same details.
The 3 other bikes look similar to yours; one may be a 1946-47 'C' and the others had words attributed, like "mimics" and "Shelby" and "Schwinn".
The bike on Worthpoint is most likely not pre-war, nor 1930's, (nor Shelby, nor Schwinn); and those are not Worthpoint's words, but those of a seller on a website, punctuated with a question mark (?). It is common when guessing at a bike's age to arrive at a general range of 'no-sooner-than' and 'no-later-than' dates. The last refurbished bike pictured from 2013 might be earlier post-war, such as ~1946, inferred by the seat post clamp, (which is hard to see). Often there is less info or fewer examples of girl's, juvenile's, and youth's bikes; (and sometimes those models did not get the investments for designing newer styles). For more serial number info see the following site by a CABE member:
https://vintageamericanbicycles.com/index.php/cleveland-welding-co-roadmaster/

Last edited:
Your first instincts were likely correct, regarding the 1947-48 'D' CWC bike. It may have worn a CWC badge (e.g., Roadmaster), or another retailer's label.
The 2 pictures of pre-war examples of different designs (size and model) did help confirm that it was unlikely to find pre-war examples of the same design, same details.
The 3 other bikes look similar to yours; one may be a 1946-47 'C' and the others had words attributed, like "mimics" and "Shelby" and "Schwinn".
The bike on Worthpoint is most likely not pre-war, nor 1930's, (nor Shelby, nor Schwinn); and those are not Worthpoint's words, but those of a seller on a website, punctuated with a question mark (?). It is common when guessing at a bike's age to arrive at a general range of 'no-sooner-than' and 'no-later-than' dates. The last refurbished bike pictured from 2013 might be earlier post-war, such as ~1946, inferred by the seat post clamp, (which is hard to see). Often there is less info or fewer examples of girl's, juvenile's, and youth's bikes; (and sometimes those models did not get the investments for designing newer styles). For more serial number info see the following site by a CABE member:
https://vintageamericanbicycles.com/index.php/cleveland-welding-co-roadmaster/
I really appreciate the help, if the girls, juveniles and youth bikes didn't get the same styling changes that would explain a LOT. I was looking over your link, it's got some great pics and info. One thing that stood out was the fender bridge comparison, I'm wondering if that's a styling change that the youth bike didn't get or if it's just a removable piece that wasn't on the frame when I found it.

3A5404D1-924B-443E-B06B-2D40680318A7.png

These bikes are so cool, I have got to find a show or swap meet in my area to see this stuff up close. I think I'm also going to need to buy a full size bike for myself.

Back