When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Bendix coaster brake problem

-

mrak1127

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have Bendix coaster brake problems. It is a Bendix RB2 from the mid 60's that when trying to pedal it slips and the pedals go around but the wheel won't turn. It wouldn't catch so I disassembled it and found that one of the brake shoes appeared to be snapped in half. Not sure if a broken brake shoe can cause the drive to slip and not engage. Would this be the sole cause of the drive slipping and not working or could a worn clutch be the cause(see pics)? Anybody else ever have this issue of the drive slipping and not working properly? Please feel free to respond if you have any advice for the fix. I posted some pics of the parts and will need a brake shoe and possibly a clutch. If anybody can help me out selling me the correct parts please message me. Thanks

P1050230.JPG

P1050231.JPG

P1050233.JPG

P1050235.JPG

P1050229.JPG

I have had a late 1940's Bendix coaster brake hub with a clutch that would not engage only due to old hardened grease.
A practice might be to temporarily assemble without lube to get a "baseline" of efficiency of operation (driving, coasting and braking), and later re-do with the proper lube.

Last edited:
I have Bendix coaster brake problems. It is a Bendix RB2 from the mid 60's that when trying to pedal it slips and the pedals go around but the wheel won't turn. It wouldn't catch so I disassembled it and found that one of the brake shoes appeared to be snapped in half. Not sure if a broken brake shoe can cause the drive to slip and not engage. Would this be the sole cause of the drive slipping and not working or could a worn clutch be the cause(see pics)? Anybody else ever have this issue of the drive slipping and not working properly? Please feel free to respond if you have any advice for the fix. I posted some pics of the parts and will need a brake shoe and possibly a clutch. If anybody can help me out selling me the correct parts please message me. Thanks

View attachment 1614424

View attachment 1614425

View attachment 1614426

View attachment 1614427

View attachment 1614430
There is a trouble shooting guide in the Schwinn repair manual.

View attachment 1614424

View attachment 1614425

View attachment 1614426

View attachment 1614427

View attachment 1614430
Some of the older Bendix hubs had 4 piece brake pads and the later only had 2 looks like some one used half and half. That would not have the effect you were having. Most likely just gummed up. Also the bearing need to be in a cage if not you need to add a few extra. Good luck

View attachment 1614424

View attachment 1614425

View attachment 1614426

View attachment 1614427

View attachment 1614430
Hope this helps.

784069EC-3C77-4F3B-869E-059CB3219D15.jpeg

32F2E76C-E1B2-41D7-A2AC-1C1C4528E811.jpeg

91404822-9BCB-427B-8A2F-77708E5FBB99.jpeg

49B66324-1D92-43CC-8933-27386CA996EF.jpeg

968E4E52-2803-4E2E-B927-074F308845AC.jpeg

View attachment 1614424

View attachment 1614425

View attachment 1614426

View attachment 1614427

View attachment 1614430

Some of the older Bendix hubs had 4 piece brake pads and the later only had 2 looks like some one used half and half. That would not have the effect you were having. Most likely just gummed up. Also the bearing need to be in a cage if not you need to add a few extra. Good luck
Thanks. I'm thinking the one pad is broken as the 2 smaller shoes aren't the same size. One edge on each is finished smooth and the other is uneven but they fit perfectly when held together and match the larger shoe. Thanks again for your thoughts and help

I have had a late 1940's Bendix coaster brake hub with a clutch that would not engage only due to old hardened grease.
A practice might be to temporarily assemble without lube to get a "baseline" of efficiency of operation (driving, coasting and braking), and later re-do with the proper lube.
Good useful advice...thanks for your help

Back