When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Bendix coaster brake problem

-
I’ve been inside those hubs before. From your photos the parts look fine. Never heard of a brake shoe exploding before. X2 to those who said it looks like two pieces in place of one. Hub probably just needs a good de greasing/cleaning, re lubing, and reassembled/adjusted properly.

sounds like the drive screw is not engaging the clutch correctly - check the retarder spring as well. You definitely have a broken brake shoe.

I’ve been inside those hubs before. From your photos the parts look fine. Never heard of a brake shoe exploding before. X2 to those who said it looks like two pieces in place of one. Hub probably just needs a good de greasing/cleaning, re lubing, and reassembled/adjusted properly.
Thanks for your help!

in the original photo, they are 2 different sizes, without a factory edge on one side of each, most likely a broken shoe.

the Model 76 shoes, the hub with 4, would not fit in the RB2 shell.

View attachment 1614902

View attachment 1614903

View attachment 1614904
Yes, the one shoe is cracked in half and when joined together the 2 pieces fit perfectly. When I got the bike the rear wheel was loose and sloppy and when taken apart I found the broken shoe, loose ball bearings (some missing) and alot of wear on the hub. This morning I cleaned and degreased all the parts and hub and reassembled everything and it appears to work correctly so far. Thanks to everyone for their help, advice and pics which were of great help in finding a fix. It's nice to have all of you as a resource in this great hobby we all love. Much appreciated!

Pm your addy and I'll send you the parts this week. Is it the two shoe set or four?
Ian

Back