When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with finding year of my bike and any other info on it including rough value

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
E

eaglesfly2me

I just purchased this bike and was told it was a 1962 flyer.
As I research.. I can't find any proof of this.
Can someone please help me? The serial numbers have been filed off.

Attachments

• sears3.pdf
    17.9 KB · Views: 109
  • sears1.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 63
  • sears4.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 59
  • sears2.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 52
Well not sure if it was stolen at one time but I am told it was purchased from a church group? They would never steal. lol
Actually what is strange is they filed off the serial number but still left on the registration sticker. On Monday I plan to call the police station to see if they can get the serial number from the registration number. Unfortunately it was from 1978 and they may not have record of it.

If it says sears and not JC Higgins it's a '62 or later but they made similar models for several years, so it's difficult to know for sure without the serial number. It definitely 60s. As for value, it hard to say, it varies regionally and depends on condition I bought a Similar Higgins girls model (a 1960) about a month ago for wife in rather minty condition, but like for like the boy's bikes always sell for higher prices than the girls. Think someone on here recently bought a boy's similar boy's model for $80. My 2 cents.

BTW I forgot to add that it's Murray of Ohio built for Sears. So you can check same era Murray's for pricing too.

Filing off a bicycle serial number is like tearing off the VIN tag of a car IMO.

It may very well have been a stolen bike at one time.

Thanks..
Well I paid over $300 for it. I like to collect items that were manufactured the same year I was born in '62.
If it is not a '62 then paying that much really was not worth it for me. The bike is not in perfect condition but pretty close to it and appears to be all original. Even the tires are Sears Brand and the light still works. It's a very clean original bike with only minor nicks and scratches.
Hopfully the police will still have record from the registration sticker and be able to supply me with the correct serial numbers.
Is there a website that I can go to if I do find out the serial number?
Looking through this site and all the forums, I think this may develope into a new hobby for me. But I will have to learn from you masters to not get cheated in the future. Not saying I was cheated this time as I think the seller honestly believed it was a '62 and that is what makes it valuable to me personally.

Sears VS JC Higgins

BTW I forgot to add that it's Murray of Ohio built for Sears. So you can check same era Murray's for pricing too.

Hi Sailor,
I was wondering what years was a HIggins? Someone else had the same exact bike on Gabes Site for sale in 2009.
THey said it was a 1962 Sears J.C. Higgins, but it only said SEARS just like mine.
So now I am confused. Can you help educate me as I am still in training wheels on this site.

I'm hoping that if it is stolen, then you don't the bike repossessed. I know that often happens with cars, Rolex watches, etc. Somebody unknowingly buys something stolen, the police impound it after finding the serial number is hot, and they are out whatever they paid.

Sears branded bikes (and other sporting goods) with JC Higgins until 1961. It's possible that there was overlap with parts from Murray or store inventory sell off. Many bikes are difficult to pinpoint to specific year, because records are often sketchy and some models didn't change for years. However, the Schwinns and Sears stuff is usually dateable by serial number. The thing that you'll also find if you look at enough bikes is that many people selling them have no idea what they have. This includes, year, model, manufacturer, etc, etc...

Back