When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Newsboy Special

-
I agree, it has that cool fin on the back, matches the look of the rear rack (someone just said it looks like a 59 Impala, I never looked at it that way but it does)

You're Right! LOL!

I agree, it has that cool fin on the back, matches the look of the rear rack (someone just said it looks like a 59 Impala, I never looked at it that way but it does)

Now I know why I really want one. The '59 Imp is one of my favorites.

Pat

I agree that if it is a balloon tire it is a Columbia Newsboy Special from the early 60's. The frame on these are nearly identical to the Columbia Firebolt, a middle weight bike.

Just a note on "Western Flyer". That was the brand name used by Western Auto Stores. There was no Western Auto bicycle Company, Western Auto had other company's like Westfield Mfg/Columbia and others make bikes for them. There could have been a bike similar to the Newsboy made by Columbia for Western Auto. I'm not sure on that.

I got this bike last week, thought it was a Columbia Firebolt. Did some research, All the bikes that had this frame were Firebolts, and ones that had standard frames ( no build in rack ) had the same chainguard I have. The bike had the standard Columbia sprocket on it. Serial number makes it a 63.

Was the chainguard swapped or is it original to this bike? I read somewhere that Western Flyer made a Newsboy Special, but couldn't find any info on that.

If anyone can help me figure out what I have, I would appreciate it. Thanks

news1-1.jpg

Now I'm Confused?

I agree that if it is a balloon tire it is a Columbia Newsboy Special from the early 60's. The frame on these are nearly identical to the Columbia Firebolt, a middle weight bike.

I saw a N/B special @ Ann Arbor,it had a cantilever style frame,balloon tires w/heavy duty spokes. Did Columbia use the F/B frame for the N/B special,@ some point? Do you have a picture or sales literature of one? Thanks.

Pat

I was guessing the frame was a middleweight because the seat stays are close together at the top, needs a heck of a notched fender to fit in there. Is there a measurement I can make to determine if its a middleweight or balloon frame?

Back