When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Raleigh MK1

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mrak1127

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm looking for all opinions on the value of this Raleigh MK1 as well as observations pertaining to the bike's condition and needs. Does it look all original? In particular does it look like the 5 speed shifter is missing the smaller shift? Also how rare and sought after are these MK1 5 speeds? Please feel free to offer your thoughts good or bad plus estimate the current value and potential value after completion.
Thanks

P1030805.JPG

P1030807.JPG

P1030810.JPG

P1030811.JPG

P1030813.JPG

Last edited:
OK so I'm wondering why I haven't got any of your opinions yet on this Raleigh MK1...are these Choppers not very popular here in the USA? They seem to sell on eBay for quite a bit of money so I thought they might be a popular muscle bike to collectors (big in the UK) but I guess I was wrong. Please take a minute and tell me what you think of this bike as I have a chance to buy it but think it's overpriced at $1200 considering it needs tires, brake shoes and maybe a shifter (to me it looks like the 2nd smaller shift knob is missing) to make it correct. All comments will be appreciated!
Thanks

I am a collector of MK1 5 speed $1200 is the high end of that bike in that condition since you are going to spending some $$ to correct the few item that are wrong or missing. my opinion is that $800 is a good price for it chopper parts are NOT cheap
here are some of my choppers

522CEFC5-BE36-48DD-9A42-72858C4F8D44.jpeg

040C5A35-C59B-4E8A-A934-73BE25A0A45E.jpeg

4A3A9C3C-D7D7-44AC-B43C-6E2091578BE9.jpeg

B7C5A14E-944A-4D1E-B142-86B7D12B138F.jpeg

Thanks for your thoughts and what beautiful Choppers you have! Very nice. About the orange five speed derailleur MK1 you posted, does that little shift knob shift the gears or does the larger shifter or both? Is one of those shifters a dummy or do both actually have a function?
Thanks again

Thanks for your thoughts and what beautiful Choppers you have! Very nice. About the orange five speed derailleur MK1 you posted, does that little shift knob shift the gears or does the larger shifter or both? Is one of those shifters a dummy or do both actually have a function?
Thanks again
The smaller shifter is just there to help create tension for the large friction shifter. My understanding is MK 1 five speeds are somewhat rare as they were only made for US market. I have a five speed project that I will get to one of these days.

Manny is correct its a tensioner for the main shifter you should check to make sure that it has the 5 speed shifter body under the cover some people have swapped out the 5 speed and used a 3 speed shifter body

I read in some Raleigh literature that the small lever locks the shifter in place preventing it from coming out of gear as kids liked to jump their chopper.

Thanks for the comments. If the 5 speed derailleur model is somewhat rare and seeing that the paint and decals appear to be in fair shape what do you think it would it be worth after fixing it up making it correct? Might cost more than the end product would be worth.

Back