When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Shelby built Western Flyer longtank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cds2323

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Pre war Shelby built Western Flyer longtank

I have this 39-40 Western Flyer that was built by Shelby. Does anyone have a Western Auto catalog or flyer that shows this style Shelby with a tank? I've not seen it any of the regular 39-41 catalogs. Or any photos of this style frame/tank with a Western Flyer badge. I'm trying to determine which tank decoration it might've had.
anyhehyv-1.jpg

Maybe like this green 39 Hiawatha?
y7y4amez-1.jpg

Or this 1940 Shelby catalog?
y8yjejup-1.jpg

Or like this 40 Pirate badged Shelby behind the Western Flyer?
nyry5y6a-1.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have any photos or catalog scans of these Shelby's ?

Does anyone know what the numbers 04 on the headbadge mean? I've seen other number combos on other Shelby badged Western Flyers but not on CWC or Huffmans with the same badge design.
eruvabu4-1.jpg

The Shelby Pirate shown above has a J1 Morrow hub, serial # V782423. I also have a Shelby Cadillac girls bike with a J1 Morrow hub, serial # V814669. The Pirate has flat fender braces and the Cadillac has channeled braces. Same 3" gothic fenders (even the same color and trim). The Western Flyer has channeled braces so maybe it is a 1940? since it's serial # starts with a P ? Or if they started the serial # letters over is it a mid-late 1941? This makes a difference as there is yet another tank decoration in 41. When I got this bike the tank had already been stripped of all paint.

I have this 39-40 Western Flyer that was built by Shelby. Does anyone have a Western Auto catalog or flyer that shows this style Shelby with a tank? I've not seen it any of the regular 39-41 catalogs. Or any photos of this style frame/tank with a Western Flyer badge. I'm trying to determine which tank decoration it might've had.
View attachment 577729
View attachment 577730
View attachment 577731
View attachment 577732
IMG_3119.JPG

View attachment 577729
View attachment 577730
View attachment 577731
View attachment 577732
How hard are these tanks and racks to find? I just picked one up.

View attachment 667757

How hard are these tanks and racks to find? I just picked one up.

The tanks aren't hard to find. Unfortunately they always seem to be on a bike. A lot harder to find them separately. They are available in two different sizes, one is more narrow in width when looked at from above, it tapers towards the rear. Also available with and without horns. The racks aren't hard to find, there are a few different styles.

Your bike looks to be a late 41 or early 42 with the curved down tube. Here's an original picture of one. Shows the tank graphic you need, looks like it has a Western Flyer badge too.
image (35).jpeg

BTW, I never did get any answers to my questions about the tank designs. I've since sold both of my longtank Shelbys.

The tanks aren't hard to find. Unfortunately they always seem to be on a bike. A lot harder to find them separately. They are available in two different sizes, one is more narrow in width when looked at from above, it tapers towards the rear. Also available with and without horns. The racks aren't hard to find, there are a few different styles.

Your bike looks to be a late 41 or early 42 with the curved down tube. Here's an original picture of one. Shows the tank graphic you need, looks like it has a Western Flyer badge too.View attachment 667970

BTW, I never did get any answers to my questions about the tank designs. I've since sold both of my longtank Shelbys.
Thanks!

Your bike looks to be a late 41 or early 42 with the curved down tube. Here's an original picture of one. Shows the tank graphic you need, looks like it has a Western Flyer badge too.View attachment 667970

curved down tube?

curved down tube?

Yes. The down tube is the lower frame tube from the head set to the bottom bracket. The two examples I had have a straight down tube. Yours has a slight curve and was only made in late 41 into 42. Haven't seen any catalog images of it tho. The old pic I posted also has the curved tube.

Back