When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Shelby built Western Flyer longtank

-
Yes. The down tube is the lower frame tube from the head set to the bottom bracket. The two examples I had have a straight down tube. Yours has a slight curve and was only made in late 41 into 42. Haven't seen any catalog images of it tho. The old pic I posted also has the curved tube.
Got it! Thanks for the lesson.

Hey y’all! Been thumbing through posts here trying to find info/references for my ‘40/41 Shelby built Western Flyer. I acquired it as a stripped frame/friction fork/tank and only the stem, fenders, and chain guard to boot. The paint scheme ref’s are great, thank you! I’m having an issue try to figure out what sprocket/crank setup it would have had stock on it though, and the majority of very few ref’s I see have a sweetheart sprocket. This seems incorrect to me, being that I thought that was a Schwinn thing- but am willing to be enlightened. Would a W’Flyer badged have come with a Shelby sprocket?? Any info would be great!
Thanks in advance...

Hey y’all! Been thumbing through posts here trying to find info/references for my ‘40/41 Shelby built Western Flyer. I acquired it as a stripped frame/friction fork/tank and only the stem, fenders, and chain guard to boot. The paint scheme ref’s are great, thank you! I’m having an issue try to figure out what sprocket/crank setup it would have had stock on it though, and the majority of very few ref’s I see have a sweetheart sprocket. This seems incorrect to me, being that I thought that was a Schwinn thing- but am willing to be enlightened. Would a W’Flyer badged have come with a Shelby sprocket?? Any info would be great!
Thanks in advance...
How about a pic of the frame
Could be Huffman...

Well, in a way you’re right, as it came with a bunch of newer Huffy parts bolted to it...

7948099D-E5DA-4B43-9BC5-9351E44B28A9.jpeg

5BA4F18E-54F1-4DB2-B4E4-5128E56396BA.jpeg

F566BD15-05F7-4C11-82ED-B2FB047E5633.jpeg

Shelby had a sprocket that was similar looking to the Schwinn. I call it the spider web. I'm currently looking for one to put on my 1935 Shelby Project.

If I use the black and white photo above for reference, which has the curved down tube, same tins, and as states “appears” to have WF badge (however a different fork- optional?), then I might assume that the Shelby sprocket could be correct?? It does show a different stem from mine, which I’m fairly certain is not part of the newer Huffy gear in my pics (I bought it that way, and those parts are long gone).
Shelby had a sprocket that was similar looking to the Schwinn. I call it the spider web. I'm currently looking for one to put on my 1935 Shelby Project.

Do you have a good picture of one?? I kept thinking they were the sweetheart sprockets because of the fuzzy blown up photos I was seeing.
Thanks in advance!!

Back