When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with spoke length stutzman

-

Junkhunter

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi guys. i need help with figuring spoke lengths. I tried to use a couple of the online spoke calculators but didn't really get anywhere. I'm trying to build 2 sets of wheels using the Stutzman wood rims with the aluminum insert. 1st set I want to use a Bendix 2 speed kickback hub. I got a hub that has a skip tooth cog on it. Someone made it custom. I want to lace it into a wood rim. The 2nd set I want to use a New Departure Model D. Reasoning behind that is I have available to me one of those 2 speed set ups. The model D is such a good hub anyways it seems to be a no brainer. I can give some specific measurements. The hub flange width is 2.25". The measurement across is 3" hole to hole.(looking at it from the axel end) The measurement across the rim is about 24 1/16". (Where the spoke end would be) I've carefully taken a few metal clad rims apart over the years and I have a lot of those spokes and nipples left. i thought it would be really cool if I could reuse those spokes (cut about 1/2" off I think and rethread I think) to build the set I'm using a Model D on. Then get some copper wire and tie them. i spoke to a guy that has a spoke cutter and he thinks he can reroll the threads back on. All of those old long nipples could be used too I hope. If I can find someone to help I can get front hub dimensions too. i am using ones I've saved from old wood wheels.
DSCN0713.JPG

Hi guys. i need help with figuring spoke lengths. I tried to use a couple of the online spoke calculators but didn't really get anywhere. I'm trying to build 2 sets of wheels using the Stutzman wood rims with the aluminum insert. 1st set I want to use a Bendix 2 speed kickback hub. I got a hub that has a skip tooth cog on it. Someone made it custom. I want to lace it into a wood rim. The 2nd set I want to use a New Departure Model D. Reasoning behind that is I have available to me one of those 2 speed set ups. The model D is such a good hub anyways it seems to be a no brainer. I can give some specific measurements. The hub flange width is 2.25". The measurement across is 3" hole to hole.(looking at it from the axel end) The measurement across the rim is about 24 1/16". (Where the spoke end would be) I've carefully taken a few metal clad rims apart over the years and I have a lot of those spokes and nipples left. i thought it would be really cool if I could reuse those spokes (cut about 1/2" off I think and rethread I think) to build the set I'm using a Model D on. Then get some copper wire and tie them. i spoke to a guy that has a spoke cutter and he thinks he can reroll the threads back on. All of those old long nipples could be used too I hope. If I can find someone to help I can get front hub dimensions too. i am using ones I've saved from old wood wheels.
View attachment 411582
I've never been able to use those calculators either. The spoke threader that you have access to should allow you to dial in the length you need. I've built wheels with junk spokes and nipples. Spacers, washers, and the like allow you to get the wheel laced. Then you can establish the correct length for the finished spokes and nipples.

Well I had problems re-threading those old original spokes. I would have to have a die to do that I think. I can't even figure out what the spoke count is on these old spokes. The guy I went to did have some black spokes I thought I would try out. They look really nice. I tied and soldered the crosses and everything. Now I'm having problems finding more black spokes.
photo 3.jpg
photo 2.jpg

Back