Need help with this prewar speedometer

This ad disappears when logged in

Jon Marinello

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 2, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA 93103, United States
missionridgeconsulting.com
I need to replace the plastic lens on this prewar speedometer. But so far I don’t see how to get the bezel off. Doesn’t seem to unscrew or pull off like the later plastic ones. Anyone know how to do this?

67839E87-8A92-47D0-B04E-6CFE202E4992.jpeg

DCD1578F-B1CA-4D89-8CD5-FA8FE42AE100.jpeg

Craig Allen

Jun 23, 2016
Millville NJ
I suspect there are no threads but it is just a very tight slip on. Try to work it back and forth with a little penetrating oil. It was put on so it has to come off.

SKIDKINGSVBC

I live for the CABE
Sep 2, 2008
Puyallup, United States
I don't replace the lenses of they look that good. The only time I pop the bezel off is if the innards are needing help. Getting the bezel off is a challenge. Not for a beginner. You have to have patience and the right tools.Find a beat one first to try.

Jon Marinello

Dec 2, 2013
You can’t see it in the pictures but the plastic lenses actually detached and is bent inward leaving a gap where dust gets in. I have messed around with this for a while now and it is not coming loose.

Barto

I live for the CABE
Mar 13, 2015
Somers, United States
I don't replace the lenses of they look that good. The only time I pop the bezel off is if the innards are needing help. Getting the bezel off is a challenge. Not for a beginner. You have to have patience and the right tools.Find a beat one first to try.
What kind of tools do you use? I got one off using a jewelers screwdriver and a very small hammer and lots of very lite tapping.. ..I agree with SKIDKINGSVBC, try a beater 1st. Good luck
Bart

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
Jun 12, 2016
Eureka, CA
Two ideas Jon. First, can you use a suction cup to pull the lens forward? If so, a dab of glue might keep it there. If this is a no go, and tools come into play, Sears has a cheap strap wrench. Plumbers use them for twisting on finished chrome plated fixtures. The one (two) you want is made of plastic with a rubber strap. Put one in a vise. Put the speedo bezel in it. Use the other to clamp the body near the base of the speedo. Apply a little friction and tap the tool to separate. Rotate the speedo a third of a turn and repeat. And again. And again.
Good luck.
image.jpeg

Jon Marinello

Dec 2, 2013
Two ideas Jon. First, can you use a suction cup to pull the lens forward? If so, a dab of glue might keep it there. If this is a no go, and tools come into play, Sears has a cheap strap wrench. Plumbers use them for twisting on finished chrome plated fixtures. The one (two) you want is made of plastic with a rubber strap. Put one in a vise. Put the speedo bezel in it. Use the other to clamp the body near the base of the speedo. Apply a little friction and tap the tool to separate. Rotate the speedo a third of a turn and repeat. And again. And again.
Good luck.
View attachment 741735
I have a set of those tools (mine are Harbor Freight) and had not thought to use them. Does the bezel screw on and off? Thanks much, jon

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
Jun 12, 2016
Eureka, CA
I have a set of those tools (mine are Harbor Freight) and had not thought to use them. Does the bezel screw on and off? Thanks much, jon
Only a guess, Jon, but I'd say no. It doesn't appear to be thick enough to have threads. But if it does, Lefty Loosey with the wrench set-up. No go on the suction cup?

SKIDKINGSVBC

I live for the CABE
Sep 2, 2008
Puyallup, United States
you have to remember those are pressed on at the factory, there are three little press marks if you ever get it off you'll see, what I use I use a good size round flat punch and a small Hammer just tap it on a heavy piece of foam just tap tap tap and you finally start seeing moving but again very light tap you don't want to damage the bezel or dents in the side of them case or scratch the paint as that was in really good shape just be careful

Jon Marinello

Dec 2, 2013
you have to remember those are pressed on at the factory, there are three little press marks if you ever get it off you'll see, what I use I use a good size round flat punch and a small Hammer just tap it on a heavy piece of foam just tap tap tap and you finally start seeing moving but again very light tap you don't want to damage the bezel or dents in the side of them case or scratch the paint as that was in really good shape just be careful
Thanks much.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture