When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with this prewar speedometer

-

Jon Marinello

Finally riding a big boys bike
I need to replace the plastic lens on this prewar speedometer. But so far I don’t see how to get the bezel off. Doesn’t seem to unscrew or pull off like the later plastic ones. Anyone know how to do this?

67839E87-8A92-47D0-B04E-6CFE202E4992.jpeg

DCD1578F-B1CA-4D89-8CD5-FA8FE42AE100.jpeg

I suspect there are no threads but it is just a very tight slip on. Try to work it back and forth with a little penetrating oil. It was put on so it has to come off.

I don't replace the lenses of they look that good. The only time I pop the bezel off is if the innards are needing help. Getting the bezel off is a challenge. Not for a beginner. You have to have patience and the right tools.Find a beat one first to try.

You can’t see it in the pictures but the plastic lenses actually detached and is bent inward leaving a gap where dust gets in. I have messed around with this for a while now and it is not coming loose.

I don't replace the lenses of they look that good. The only time I pop the bezel off is if the innards are needing help. Getting the bezel off is a challenge. Not for a beginner. You have to have patience and the right tools.Find a beat one first to try.
What kind of tools do you use? I got one off using a jewelers screwdriver and a very small hammer and lots of very lite tapping.. ..I agree with SKIDKINGSVBC, try a beater 1st. Good luck
Bart

What kind of tools do you use? I got one off using a jewelers screwdriver and a very small hammer and lots of very lite tapping.. ..I agree with SKIDKINGSVBC, try a beater 1st. Good luck
Bart
Not using any tools yet. I don't want to damage the metal case.

Two ideas Jon. First, can you use a suction cup to pull the lens forward? If so, a dab of glue might keep it there. If this is a no go, and tools come into play, Sears has a cheap strap wrench. Plumbers use them for twisting on finished chrome plated fixtures. The one (two) you want is made of plastic with a rubber strap. Put one in a vise. Put the speedo bezel in it. Use the other to clamp the body near the base of the speedo. Apply a little friction and tap the tool to separate. Rotate the speedo a third of a turn and repeat. And again. And again.
Good luck.
image.jpeg

Two ideas Jon. First, can you use a suction cup to pull the lens forward? If so, a dab of glue might keep it there. If this is a no go, and tools come into play, Sears has a cheap strap wrench. Plumbers use them for twisting on finished chrome plated fixtures. The one (two) you want is made of plastic with a rubber strap. Put one in a vise. Put the speedo bezel in it. Use the other to clamp the body near the base of the speedo. Apply a little friction and tap the tool to separate. Rotate the speedo a third of a turn and repeat. And again. And again.
Good luck.
View attachment 741735
I have a set of those tools (mine are Harbor Freight) and had not thought to use them. Does the bezel screw on and off? Thanks much, jon

I have a set of those tools (mine are Harbor Freight) and had not thought to use them. Does the bezel screw on and off? Thanks much, jon
Only a guess, Jon, but I'd say no. It doesn't appear to be thick enough to have threads. But if it does, Lefty Loosey with the wrench set-up. No go on the suction cup?

Back