When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with this prewar speedometer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jon Marinello

Finally riding a big boys bike
I need to replace the plastic lens on this prewar speedometer. But so far I don’t see how to get the bezel off. Doesn’t seem to unscrew or pull off like the later plastic ones. Anyone know how to do this?

67839E87-8A92-47D0-B04E-6CFE202E4992.jpeg

DCD1578F-B1CA-4D89-8CD5-FA8FE42AE100.jpeg

I suspect there are no threads but it is just a very tight slip on. Try to work it back and forth with a little penetrating oil. It was put on so it has to come off.

I don't replace the lenses of they look that good. The only time I pop the bezel off is if the innards are needing help. Getting the bezel off is a challenge. Not for a beginner. You have to have patience and the right tools.Find a beat one first to try.

You can’t see it in the pictures but the plastic lenses actually detached and is bent inward leaving a gap where dust gets in. I have messed around with this for a while now and it is not coming loose.

I don't replace the lenses of they look that good. The only time I pop the bezel off is if the innards are needing help. Getting the bezel off is a challenge. Not for a beginner. You have to have patience and the right tools.Find a beat one first to try.
What kind of tools do you use? I got one off using a jewelers screwdriver and a very small hammer and lots of very lite tapping.. ..I agree with SKIDKINGSVBC, try a beater 1st. Good luck
Bart

What kind of tools do you use? I got one off using a jewelers screwdriver and a very small hammer and lots of very lite tapping.. ..I agree with SKIDKINGSVBC, try a beater 1st. Good luck
Bart
Not using any tools yet. I don't want to damage the metal case.

Two ideas Jon. First, can you use a suction cup to pull the lens forward? If so, a dab of glue might keep it there. If this is a no go, and tools come into play, Sears has a cheap strap wrench. Plumbers use them for twisting on finished chrome plated fixtures. The one (two) you want is made of plastic with a rubber strap. Put one in a vise. Put the speedo bezel in it. Use the other to clamp the body near the base of the speedo. Apply a little friction and tap the tool to separate. Rotate the speedo a third of a turn and repeat. And again. And again.
Good luck.
image.jpeg

Two ideas Jon. First, can you use a suction cup to pull the lens forward? If so, a dab of glue might keep it there. If this is a no go, and tools come into play, Sears has a cheap strap wrench. Plumbers use them for twisting on finished chrome plated fixtures. The one (two) you want is made of plastic with a rubber strap. Put one in a vise. Put the speedo bezel in it. Use the other to clamp the body near the base of the speedo. Apply a little friction and tap the tool to separate. Rotate the speedo a third of a turn and repeat. And again. And again.
Good luck.
View attachment 741735
I have a set of those tools (mine are Harbor Freight) and had not thought to use them. Does the bezel screw on and off? Thanks much, jon

I have a set of those tools (mine are Harbor Freight) and had not thought to use them. Does the bezel screw on and off? Thanks much, jon
Only a guess, Jon, but I'd say no. It doesn't appear to be thick enough to have threads. But if it does, Lefty Loosey with the wrench set-up. No go on the suction cup?

Back