When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED I.D. parts help for a 1949 B6

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

No Repro please

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi everyone, I just joined CABE today; I guess I'm just a total originality "snob", restoring a '49 Schwinn cantilever 26 inch B6, and am asking kind members to help with several questions:
1:( Does the bike (correctly) use Torrington #10 pedals, or the Schwinn deluxe '50's type pedals?
2:( Does the spring fork take the wider, or the "narrower" chrome springfork rods/tubes? And would the narrower rods fit onto the later '50's springfork?
3:( Should my goose neck be the type with a front facing handlebar tightening bolt, or "upward" facing bolt?
4:( Is the Mesinger B1 seat correct for the bike?
5:( Does it take "flat" style S2 wheels, or drop center ones?
What time period did the Bendix 2 speed lever type rear axle originate? Is it correct for '49?
Are there any other items that are unique to the '49 that I need to make sure are on it?

Some of these & more I want to buy to complete the bike. Please be patient with some of my questions, which may sound "dumb"... I will be happy to post photos of it once it's finished. Thanks! John

Welcome to the Cabe. The is no 1949 Schwinn Catalog available on the internet, at least not that I'm aware of, but the 1948 Catalog is on schwinncruisers.com. Pretty extensive catalog scanning and the site's double spacing of the text makes it a chore to scroll thru all the info on a single page and most of the models have the build specs. Check it out and see if any of the published info answers your questions. >>>>> http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1948.html

It "somewhat" answers a few concerns; tho not clearly; there seems to be no "ONE STOP SHOP" out there! Thanks for the tip! John

#1-pedals could be either,and others could possibly be correct.Persons have been seen in those years.
#2- fat struts,as far as I know,they should interchange.
#3-front facing.
#4-yes.
#5-S2 wheels,Bendix manual 2 speed came around in mid 50's,so probably not correct.
*note,there will be others with more info and some of mine may be a bit off,but it's a starting point.

Depends on how far you want to go with your '49. From my studies '49 was a year where the sky was the limit on options. This year you could get many of the Phantom options (introduced in '49) such as the rack with light and Phantom style seat (no rivets). If using a B1 it would be the fixed rail seat and not the earlier sliding rail. I'm currently doing one of these that will have dual drums, Phantom seat, rack with light, and chrome fork legs (definitely a '49 option and possibly other years). Good luck with your project. V/r Shawn

Thanks everyone; I know I'm "greedy" for more & more info (but I LOVE it), so please keep the helpful replies coming, if you folks don't mind! John

The Schwinn Heavyweight Book by Geoff Greene would probably be money well spent. V/r Shawn

Back