When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
An yet another that I have. This one also has 28" x 1 1/2" tires (Fisk Victor), was originally red, and has a Corbin Duplex Model 8 rear hub. It does not have a headbadge but had some sort of decal or transfer and the first two letters of either four or five are "RU?--". It also has rain gutter fenders. I think the fork may have been replaced and can't be real sure about the crank. I can't find any other markings on it to help I.D. it though. Anyone out there got an idea? v/r Shawn

Attachments

• Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Unknown3.jpg
    Unknown3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Unknown4.jpg
    Unknown4.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 76
I thougth Rudge was a British maker? This has a Corbin hub which makes me think this is a US bike. v/r Shawn

Just when I’m feeling useless, (Re: Racer ID) something comes along and pulls me back from the brink. The Rudge guess nudged my mind and I went to my badge collection (about three badges) and pulled out my teens-twenties Rugby badge. It is the exact match to the imprint on this frame.

You are not looking at the remains of a transfer but an imprint in wet paint. The rugby badge is a fancy shield with a partial diamond cutout in the center. Floating stencil style in the opening is a Rugby football with the RUGBY name deeply stamped across it.

Above the football the Norvell Shapleigh Hardware Co is listed and below St. Lewis, Mo.

While you now know how the bike was badged this doesn’t really clarify who made the bike for Shapleigh as they used a wide range of suppliers over the years (I have a 35 Westfield built Rugby Streamline with a later badge.)

I’ll send you a picture of the badge when I get a chance to photograph it.

Oh, and I woke up much too early and thought I would put a bit more time into the LL article, I composed a big chunk of info for the middle this week and just need to work that a bit more. Now that I’ve researched two bikes I think I’ll go back to bed. I have to get up at a later version of early to get ready to go document a friends CWC pile today.
I’ll have some LL text to you early this week,

Thanks Phil,
I send some better pics of this bike and maybe you can help me nail down the maker. I also have questions about the chainring and fork. v/r Shawn

The tires on this bike are a one piece design fitted over a steel clad wood rim. I'll try to get some better pics of the chainring and fork. v/r Shawn

Back