When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info Elgin bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chiller662

Finally riding a big boys bike
Yes I know it's a miss match of parts but I picked this up today. I am trying to figure out the year of the frame and what parts are original. I know the seat is obviously not original and the wheels but I am not sure about the fenders and the handle bars . Any help is appreciated.

L62565 is the serial

The wheels look about 1" undersized all around, so maybe a 28" and skip-tooth(?).
Not familiar with that special frame design, but Westfield was one manufacturer for Sears in the 1930's.

Sometimes the year 1933 may be associated with the "L" prefix to the serial number (for Westfield).
The year 1933 is also famous for being the 1-year anniversary of Montgomery Ward's 1932 introduction of balloon tires.

Westfield used notched or slabbed seat post bolts at one time.

Last edited:
The wheels look about 1" undersized all around, so maybe a 28"(?).
Not familiar with that special frame design, but Westfield was one manufacturer for Sears in the 1930's.
View attachment 1683363
Sometimes the year 1933 may be associated with the "L" prefix to the serial number (for Westfield).
The year 1933 is also famous for being the 1-year anniversary of Montgomery Ward's 1932 introduction of balloon tires.

Hmm now I just have to find parts I have a Elgin 26" wheel skiptooth with some bad rings maybe I can get some 28" rings and respoke them and I have a handlebar that just needs grips. I'm going to try to see what other info I can come up with on it beings it may now be my oldest bike.

Last edited:
The wheels are 26" so Archie may be right that they should be a 28".
Maybe not, was thinking 1933 was fairly early for 26" - might be one of the earliest 26" bikes.
Perhaps the tire and fender gap is just the way how designs used to look back then, (gap exaggerated by narrower tires?).

Last edited:
Back