When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info Elgin bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1933: First year Falcon available in 26” or 28” versions. I’ve seen 26” examples both with the 28” fenders and with 26” fenders and spacers.

Contours of the wheels in the ad appear to be clad steel over wood for what would be "cement on" 28" tires. Ad mentions chrome wheels too. I wouldn't be surprised if the 26" clincher tires were mounted on chrome triple step rims though.
I just wanted to lead with a disclaimer that nothing I'm saying here should be taken as absolute gospel, but I do believe it's widely considered the case. Regarding the wheels, both variations of the 1933 Falcon had steel-clad wood wheels. In the case of the 28" wheels, they accommodated 28" x1 1/2" high-pressure single tube tires. The 26" wheels, however, were made with a channel that took traditional clincher-style balloon tires and tubes (see pics below). Again, don't quote me on this, but a 1933 26" wheel set would have likely had a ND model C hub (if the hub were New Departure and not Morrow), where I believe Model D was introduced in 1934 (the wheel set below is a 1934 set I believe).

I have both 1933 and 1934 balloon tire Elgins and the forks are longer than their 1935+ 26" Westfield counterparts. I believe in the same way they used the same frame with and without spacers (depending on the fenders) they used the same fork for both sizes during those two years. Here's the 1934 ladies' Elgin (pic below) from which the previously posted wheels came. It looks, at first glance, like someone may have replaced the wheels, but those are 1934 wheels on a 1934 bicycle in almost showroom condition. This came out of an old bike shop basement where it had been for well over 50 years.

Back