When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info Elgin bicycle

-
I have both 1933 and 1934 balloon tire Elgins and the forks are longer than their 1935+ 26" Westfield counterparts. I believe in the same way they used the same frame with and without spacers (depending on the fenders) they used the same fork for both sizes during those two years. Here's the 1934 ladies' Elgin (pic below) from which the previously posted wheels came. It looks, at first glance, like someone may have replaced the wheels, but those are 1934 wheels on a 1934 bicycle in almost showroom condition. This came out of an old bike shop basement where it had been for well over 50 years.

View attachment 1683924
Ok so I can run either the 26" or the 28" due to the frame being the same I would just need spaces for the 26". Is that rear fender just on the girls bikes or was it on both because I actually have one as well as 2 Elgin wheels and the handle bars

I have both 1933 and 1934 balloon tire Elgins and the forks are longer than their 1935+ 26" Westfield counterparts. I believe in the same way they used the same frame with and without spacers (depending on the fenders) they used the same fork for both sizes during those two years. Here's the 1934 ladies' Elgin (pic below) from which the previously posted wheels came. It looks, at first glance, like someone may have replaced the wheels, but those are 1934 wheels on a 1934 bicycle in almost showroom condition. This came out of an old bike shop basement where it had been for well over 50 years.

View attachment 1683924
Nice looking bike as well

Ok so I can run either the 26" or the 28" due to the frame being the same I would just need spaces for the 26". Is that rear fender just on the girls bikes or was it on both because I actually have one as well as 2 Elgin wheels and the handle bars
The fenders on the ladies' Elgin in the pic (at least the rear fender) are specific to ladies' models with the punched skirt guard holes/hooks. Men's bikes won't have skirt guard holes. From a size perspective, the fenders are the 28" size but they can accommodate both size wheels (the 26" wheels just swim a little more in the space as you can see in the pic). If you were to run 26" wheels, I think your best bet would be to go with the smaller style fenders with fender bridge spacers, but that's just an opinion.

The fenders on the ladies' Elgin in the pic (at least the rear fender) are specific to ladies' models with the punched skirt guard holes/hooks. Men's bikes won't have skirt guard holes. From a size perspective, the fenders are the 28" size but they can accommodate both size wheels (the 26" wheels just swim a little more in the space as you can see in the pic). If you were to run 26" wheels, I think your best bet would be to go with the smaller style fenders with fender bridge spacers, but that's just an opinion.
I have a couple people looking for the 28" I seen some on eBay but I'm not willing dump out $400+ for a decent set I will wait and see what happens. I mite start seeing about fabing a tank atleast until I can find a original .

Uploaded the wrong picture before; the 1932-33 dates make more sense.

Oops, it has 4-bars for main tubes; (at least it is not missing a seat tube mast)!

Last edited:
Back