When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info on savage badged rollfast with Harris/ snyder crank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Whoever threw the bike in the trash might not have known what they were doing.
So this is a 28” motobike, with the then obsolescent single tube or tubeless tires.
Modern 622mm wheels/rims and tires will fit these old bicycles. A tank-toolbox like that one alone might sell for $300- any day; maybe similar for the saddle-seat or headlight. See the motorbike era thread.
So this beauty may be worth making some time for is what your saying. Everyone I've talked to or shown the bicycle to has said they are a "dime a dozen" and then said "I'll take it off your hands if you like" and offered $50 to $100 for it

Congratulations on a great find. All my bikes have been found at my work, San Francisco's Transfer station where eI've worked for 30+ years. About 10 years ago I found a 1958 Schwinn American and a couple years later a circa 1917 Pierce Roadster. The Pierce was buried in a pile of lathe, plaster and bricks with just a pedal sticking out. The Schwinn American was brought in by DPW from street dumping. New tires, tubes, lube and ride. They were my entry into this great hobby and i ride them every chance I get. You'll find very helpful folks here and lots of valuable information.

As mentioned above your bike has considerable value, it's in very nice condition. The biggest headache to getting these 28" wheel on the road is coming up with tires since they stopped making this size in the US in the late 1930s.

There are a number of references here to Baker Hamilton Hardware and Bean Sons, San Francisco bikes. The company that distributed these bikes still has a presence today as the Merry Company, another part of the family that owned this company owns SOMA bikes so they're still in the bike business 100 years later.

Here's before and after of my Pierce. Read the threads here on cleaning and preserving, thats some great original paint!
Best of luck.
Gary

Before

After

1958 Schwinn American

And my teens-20s Westfield motorbike frame I rescued from the scrap pile 2 years ago, still waiting to start work on this. Unfortunately someone stripped the original paint and growled on a heavy coat of black house paint.

Those are great finds and fantastic work on the cleaning. Thanks again for all the info. I will start researching the Baker Hamilton and bean lead and see where it leads

It is definitely a survivor. It doesn't look like it's been touched as far as I can tell.i will it could talk though I would like to know where it came from and how someone could just toss something so amazing

Greetings once again my bicyclist friends. Well after much deliberation and many conversations with whomever would listen to me ramble on about my historical finds including this wonderful bike I'm proud to say (and a little sad) that the bike has a new home. While on a trip to northern California recently I had a gentleman make me an offer I couldn't refuse. Based solely on the pictures in my phone. Since I got the bike for free hoping to save a peice of bicycle history the pay off was 850% of what I paid. And now i have the funds to save another peice or pieces of history when i find them thanks for all the wonderful info and time. I came to the cabe to research a bike but will stay to see all the wonderful projects and for the great info you all share. Thanks

Back