When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need lacing advice...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm attempting to lace some new Worksman 26" rims. Pretty sure I have the pattern correct - 3 Over, matches a factory-laced rim I have. But even with the nipples turned all the way in - everything's loose. As if 1/4" shorter spokes would have worked. The new spokes/rim are the correct sizes. I'm reusing my hub - from a 24" Worksman wheel...and was told the hubs don't change in size from 24: to 26". Could that be my problem? Or did I do some rookie mistake? I've laced a few wheels in the past, and they always worked out. This one has me stumped. Thanks.

Yes, something went wrong in your spoke length calculation perhaps. Go online and use the actual measurements of your rim and hub required to calculate spoke length and see what new figure you come up with. Either this or 4-cross instead of 3? I like this one below..

How long are your spokes? Looks like your rim is a balloon tire rim and your hub looks to be for a trike but should be close to a standard size coaster. I have in my notes to do a cross 3 (which you are doing) for a standard size coaster on a balloon tire wheel your spoke length should be around 10 1/4". For a cross 4 pattern it would be around 10 5/8".

How long are your spokes? Looks like your rim is a balloon tire rim and your hub looks to be for a trike but should be close to a standard size coaster. I have in my notes to do a cross 3 (which you are doing) for a standard size coaster on a balloon tire wheel your spoke length should be around 10 1/4". For a cross 4 pattern it would be around 10 5/8".
The rim and the spokes are new and from Worksman. The spokes are 10 9/16" - and they match the length on a factory-laced older 26" rim I have. And the older rim is a cross 3. So something's off somewhere. I'll give it another go in the morning. Start in a different hole? Look into a cross 4? Maybe I messed up in what hole I started my third set of 9 in? I really appreciate everyone taking the time with me, here. I'll report back.

MAYBE this is the source of my failed attempts...here's a pic of a Worksman hub. Is this a 3 cross or a 4 cross? I was looking at it, as a 3.

had this issue once. I discovered that no matter how many times you lace it the same exact way your spokes will still be too long.
I've only built 3 or 4 wheels, but one I did 4 or 5 times, so I am an expert.

you need to go 4 cross. if they come out short on 4 cross, you have the wrong spokes.

Back