When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice and consideration on this old GWM

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

palepainter

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am having difficulty finding any shots of this bike in color. During the sanding CSI, I cam across a brownish orange at the base. Not sure but the observation leaves me thinking it was some where originally that color. Who the hell knows…. So I had the 4 layers of house paint blasted, prime red and polyesters a few small dings. It’s is ready for paint. The world is my oyster as..this is what I do. I would love to keep some resemblance of the original with decor and striping. I was advised that this was a 1922 GWM Crown. I got what appeared to be the correct badge for it, bit the mount holes are not same width apart. I’m hoping someone may have an idea of what this is or what it looked like so I can give it some proper paint.

Most GWM in-house head badges had the vertical hole spacing; and about 2+3/4” in the later years. GWM was one 1920’s supplier to Montgomery Ward, who sold Hawthorne bicycles. The smaller-frame black-and-orange bicycle looks like a Westfield product in style and a later timeframe.
Often, Hawthorne badges depend on the manufacturer of the bicycle; however the badges are fairly common, (should one need to check the fit of various badges in one’s inadvertent collection).
There are threads on this site about MW Hawthorne Deluxe bicycles; some with color catalog pictures, or at least a b&w description of the color/finishes offered.
Many of those bicycles were red; I would advise against any pearl (oyster) finishes.

Last edited:
Now THAT is an interesting GWM fork if it truly is a GWM fork. The truss supports seem detatchable from the fork itself? Never seen that one before....
Yes. But can’t be removed because the lower truss is welded to fork

Back