When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help!! Clicking noise

-

fboggs1986

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey guys,

I bought this Hawthorne a little while back and when Peddling it made a clicking noise coming from crank chain area. I though maybe it needed a service. I tore it down regressed everything and soaked the chain in degreaser and evaporust and put it all back together. It is still making the noise when I peddle. You guys have any pointers. Sprocket appears to be rechromed. Would that cause this? Any help would be appropriate
Thanks,
Frank
0043edd68561c80ab50468c0b027757a.jpg
5a5976c3afa3bd8b3b3135d9c4eb1af7.jpg
43d74e8dd9fce201b341d8cd2303b153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the chain guard hit any part of the crank/chain

If you have a work stand to anchor the bike, manually pedal and look around for any minor adjustments

Does the chain guard hit any part of the crank/chain

If you have a work stand to anchor the bike, manually pedal and look around for any minor adjustments

Yea I double checked that. Nothing is rubbing. It's only making the noise when there is weight on the bike ridding it. There is quite a bit of slack in the chain with the wheel all the way back. I might remove a link and see if that helps. Thanks for the input.
Frank

I just had same issue. Too much slack in chain. when I peddled the chain would get tension and lift slightly on top and hit the rivit on rear chainguard bracket. Also had chains stretch back in the bmx days and click on front sprocket.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try to take a link out of the chain and see if that helps.
Frank

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try to take a link out of the chain and see if that helps.
Frank

If a stretched out chain is the problem, removing a link resolves nothing. Each link is worn so you'll have the same issue, but with a shorter stretched out chain.

If a stretched out chain is the problem, removing a link resolves nothing. Each link is worn so you'll have the same issue, but with a shorter stretched out chain.

Oh okay so the links of the chain could be stretched. So that chain is no good?
Frank

Basically yes, the chain is no good if stretched/worn and neither is a worn out sprocket, front or rear. If the chain and both sprockets were the originals and were worn together, the noise my not be as noticeable. If you swap out the original chain, a chain ring or a sprocket with a different worn out part, they won't mesh like the original complete worn out set and sound like a thrashing machine.

Basically yes, the chain is no good if stretched/worn and neither is a worn out sprocket, front or rear. If the chain and both sprockets were the originals and were worn together, the noise my not be as noticeable. If you swap out the original chain, a chain ring or a sprocket with a different worn out part, they won't mesh like the original complete worn out set and sound like a thrashing machine.

That's correct
It's your chain, I've replaced a chain when a rear sprocket was making a skipping sound- sound gone! .

Removing or adding links did not help.

Back