When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help on this one guys

-
I think you all have identified my own favorite bicycle. I bought mine as a frame-set fifteen years ago and built it up as a rider for Wheelmen centuries. Mine also has the original Fauber cranks and large chain ring of a different pattern. The frame details and compression fittings at the seat and stem match exactly. It has original blue paint and silver pinstripes, and lots of nickel. I completed it with a New Departure Model A coaster-brake and matching front, continental 28 x 1 3/4 (700C) steel rims, a nickel continental spoon brake, period TOC rat trap pedals, and a Brooks B72 saddle. Like I said it is a rider not an authentic restoration. But it is a light, comfortable, great riding bike. I have ridden it literally thousands of miles now. The one critical missing piece was, as always, the head badge. I don't think mine was 'stolen.' There is a small dent where I think it came off in an accident. Jesse, could you take a closer picture of your head badge? I'd love to see what I'm missing!

Thanks, Paul Rubenson

P1010168.JPG

P1010172.JPG

P1010208.JPG

P1010179.JPG

Last edited:
Here is another Snell, that is currently for sale. It interests me that the seller says the bike originally had 30" wheels! My frame and forks are relatively tight around my 700x38C tires. Slightly larger 28 x 1 1/2" TOC tires would certainly fit, but I can't see 30". I wonder if these bicycles were possibly offered in both 28" and 30" variants.

I'm interested to know if Darj's Dunlop tires are true Dunlop-type wired-on ("clincher") tires, and not single-tubes. I have a pair of TOC Dunlop-style wood rims, but I can't find any current size tire that fits them. Is there a size marked on your tires???

A last question for Darj is if your stem bolt holds your stem to the fork, or just the handlebars in the stem. My bike has a compression fitting at the stem similar to the seat post. Your headset parts look the same, but my stem doesn't have a center bolt.

000_0001.JPG

000_0006.JPG

Last edited:
Here is another Snell, that is currently for sale. It interests me that the seller says the bike originally had 30" wheels! My frame and forks are relatively tight around my 700x38C tires. Slightly larger 28 x 1 1/2" TOC tires would certainly fit, but I can't see 30". I wonder if these bicycles were possibly offered in both 28" and 30" variants.

I'm interested to know if Darj's Dunlop tires are true Dunlop-type wired-on ("clincher") tires, and not single-tubes. I have a pair of TOC Dunlop-style wood rims, but I can't find any current size tire that fits them. Is there a size marked on your tires???

A last question for Darj is if your stem bolt holds your stem to the fork, or just the handlebars in the stem. My bike has a compression fitting at the stem similar to the seat post. Your headset parts look the same, but my stem doesn't have a center bolt.

View attachment 1229933

View attachment 1229934

I believe my tires to be clinchers..marked 28 by 1 1/2.not sure if the stem holds the fork or not..is the bicycle pictured yours or is that the one that is for sale?cheers

My bike is the blue one pictured higher up. The dark one immediately above with dropped bars is for sale by Caber Carlitos60. Assuming your rims are original, then some day I would like to restore my Snell similarly with wood clincher rims. Like I said I do have a pair of wood TOC clincher rims. But so far I haven't found any modern tires that fit them. Modern 28" x 1 1/2" (ISO 635) roadster tires are too large if I remember. But I think ISO 630 and 622 were too small. I wonder if it's possible to research or figure out the ISO of your TOC clinchers.

When I look closer at Carlitos60's bike I can clearly see it originally had bigger wheels than mine. His current tires are 700 x 35 and there is tons of room around them, like three inches. It was clearly a 30" wheel bike as he says, while mine is definitely only a 28". But the head tube appears the same length on all of them.

Thanks!
Paul Rubenson

Last edited:
My bike is the blue one pictured higher up. The dark one immediately above with dropped bars is for sale by Caber Carlitos60. Assuming your rims are original, then some day I would like to restore my Snell similarly with wood clincher rims. Like I said I do have a pair of wood TOC clincher rims. But so far I haven't found any modern tires that fit them. Modern 28" x 1 1/2" (ISO 635) roadster tires are too large if I remember. But I think ISO 630 and 622 were too small. I wonder if it's possible to research or figure out the ISO of your TOC clinchers.

When I look closer at Carlitos60's bike I can clearly see it originally had bigger wheels than mine. His current tires are 700 x 35 and there is tons of room around them, like three inches. It was clearly a 30" wheel bike as he says, while mine is definitely only a 28". But the head tube appears the same length on all of them.

Thanks!
Paul Rubenson
Paul,

I have been restoring a bike that I am told is a Lenape, Made in Doylestown, PA between 1896 and 1901. I came across the photo of yours and was looking at some of the parts. How does the seat stay work? I have tried to loosen the nut and am able to rotate the post, but then the nut gets tight again. I don't want to force it and break it. to your knowledge, is the nut removable? does the seat post just slide up and down when the nut is loose? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Paul,

I have been restoring a bike that I am told is a Lenape, Made in Doylestown, PA between 1896 and 1901. I came across the photo of yours and was looking at some of the parts. How does the seat stay work? I have tried to loosen the nut and am able to rotate the post, but then the nut gets tight again. I don't want to force it and break it. to your knowledge, is the nut removable? does the seat post just slide up and down when the nut is loose? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Please post a picture Tommy of what you have. We would love to see it and there are guys here that can walk you though you particular parts issue.

Back