When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help with 20in ballooner!!

-
The spitfire in pic was the second one I've seen . The first one had slim fenders with S-7s . The green one I bought has much wider fenders with S-2s . You can see in pic rear fender has a crimp so that it fit the middleweight frame. I do believe fenders are original. Was this the "balloon option" in 55/57? ..duplicate serial numbers so not sure what year..What would you say the value would be on this bike?

The frame for a balloon tire (S-2) bike is different than a middleweight (S-7) frame. The seat and chain stays are wider on the balloon frames. Both frames had fenders with dimples for the seat stays and I doubt a middleweight frame will take a balloon fender. That supposed B serial number on the Green bike above was used in 1952 and 53. The number was also used in 57 but there were no Balloon bikes for that year other than the 26" Wasp and Phantom.
Search the sold listing on eBay or check out the for sale classifieds here on the Cabe for a value.

Would you say the green bike is a balloon? The green NOS fenders without crimp in other pic are 3 inches wide and the ones on green bike are 1/8 smaller with crimp. Without the small crimp the NOS fenders dont fit. I do believe the S2 rims are original. It has balloon tires on now.Hoping it's a balloon.

Last edited:
Decided to leave paint alone . Going to color match rack ,chaingaurd and front fender .
20190726_170808.jpg

20190726_170920.jpg

Back