Need some Westfield Columbia bicycle help

This ad disappears when logged in

Mercian

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi,

very easy to date with the two sets of letters/numbers stamped under the bottom of the crank tube (BB).

Best Regards,

Adrian

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi, and Thanks,

3-speeder is correct, 1942. But here's a link to a more accurate Westfield serial number listing (I know, I wrote it (-; )

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/

I had the owner get back to me with a number. Its J1 -G35983
J1, G35983 was made in January 1942, and was one of the last civillian bicycles before the war. It just predates manufacture of the Military model G519 bikes, based on the same frame.

Very Nice!

Best Regards,

Adrian

old hotrod

I live for the CABE
Jan 10, 2008
So Cal
www.flickr.com
View attachment 982758
Or why there are two reflectors under a reflector?
it is common to find the bike lock latched to the seat, I guess the question is, where else would you put it that it won't rattle around or damage the paint. And the two reflectors are filling the two extra holes for a dropstand clip…common Westfield thing to have a kickstand and holes for a clip but no dropstand.

Car&bikeguy555

Look Ma, No Hands!
Mar 31, 2019
South coast MA
Hi, and Thanks,

3-speeder is correct, 1942. But here's a link to a more accurate Westfield serial number listing (I know, I wrote it (-; )

J1, G35983 was made in January 1942, and was one of the last civillian bicycles before the war. It just predates manufacture of the Military model G519 bikes, based on the same frame.

Very Nice!

Best Regards,

Adrian
Great work with the serial number guide! Is there any significance or rarity being a Pope Westfield over any of the other westfield makers of this era?

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Great work with the serial number guide! Is there any significance or rarity being a Pope Westfield over any of the other westfield makers of this era?
No, there is no special significance. It may indicate a slightly different parts set up, or perhaps retail in a particular area, it's a bit like 'Badge Engineered' cars in that respect.

It is nice, and I personally think good value. But then I'm biased towards bikes of this particular era (-:

I should add that I am currently updating this list with a couple of hundred more bicycles, and thank you for supplying another example.

The list will be published on CABE when done.

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Dec 19, 2017
Pacific Northwest , United States
No, there is no special significance. It may indicate a slightly different parts set up, or perhaps retail in a particular area, it's a bit like 'Badge Engineered' cars in that respect.

It is nice, and I personally think good value. But then I'm biased towards bikes of this particular era (-:

I should add that I am currently updating this list with a couple of hundred more bicycles, and thank you for supplying another example.

The list will be published on CABE when done.
You may use this , if you like. Curt. :sunglasses:

DSCF0844.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0835.JPG

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for that - everything helps (-:

As you may know, it's J90786, which is late 1945 (probably Nov-Dec). This is wrong, sorry about that. It should be L90786, 1947. Please see my next post below.

Stamping J on the bb was a real problem because the tail of the J would go missing. It is also stamped with a new stamping tool, in comparison to previous bikes. I think the problem with the curved surface and this tool is why they moved the numbers onto the flat area of the rear dropout shortly after this.

The bike at the bottom of this page is badged the same, and is a similar date, but has the red/white colour scheme instead.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Dec 19, 2017
1st Off , THANKS for the info. I thought '47 My bike has NO ears for a drop stand...............the Red/white bike has 'em. Mine maybe a newer frame style ? Love the knowledge here on the Cabe :cool:

DSCF0892.JPG

Mercian

Jul 1, 2016
France
Hi Curt,

Thanks for your kind reply, and so I must apologise for giving you the wrong information.

You are quite correct, it's a 1947, L90786.

After your comment about the frame, I went off and educated myself a bit better, here are some other 1947 examples:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/j-c-higgins.6247/#post-205061

It's also noticeable that the same badge shape with different designs on it is often used at this point.

It also reinforces what I said about the problems of stamping a J or L on the bb. I fell for it!

So again, sorry for that. .

Best Regards,

Adrian

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the update Adrian. It's all making more sense now . Bike manufacturing ,and Timelines are SOOOOOOOO Confusing . All the parts switching ,delays , using up old stock........Multiple brands/Names from the same Maker...........ALL OF IT..................I gotta tip my hat to EVERYONE who has spent the time to do this kind of research. it must have been exhausting ! Heck..................I'm exhausted just thinking about doin' that. ;)

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Dec 19, 2017
Alright !!!!!! You did it . Lucky no one snagged it while you were contemplating. That bike has a great look to it. Great Color Combo. Great all around. What Tires are on that ? ALSO I think you can get a lenze for your fender light from Cindi Vette or Cindy Vette ............can't remember ( ON Ebay) Ya Dunn Good !

Car&bikeguy555

Look Ma, No Hands!
Mar 31, 2019
South coast MA
20190420_175844.jpg
Thanks!!! Yeah I'm really digging it haha. I was searching online to try to find a lense for the light just now actually. The front tire is "Allstate Crusader" and the rear tire is "Dave's Deluxe". Neither are in terrible condition, a few dry cracks here and there.

CURTIS L LINDGREN

Dec 19, 2017
Sounds like you lucked out with the tires as well. No one ever seems to "Let on" about what tires are on a bike. They ARE important , for that Authentic Period Look . If they can be ridden.................YEE HAW !!!! Let's go ride ! Here's what came with mine. It's a PLUS your light works . :cool:

DSCF0845.JPG

DSCF0846.JPG

Car&bikeguy555

Look Ma, No Hands!
Mar 31, 2019
South coast MA
Haha yeah I hear that, It was a plus to find out the tires looked original as they should look. Your tires look nice and fitting.
Oh yeah, for the light, are there specific bulbs or volts/watts to be used with the D batteries? I think the one I have is a 4 watt light bulb. Would a 2 watt be brighter you think?

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture