When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some Westfield Columbia bicycle help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
No, there is no special significance. It may indicate a slightly different parts set up, or perhaps retail in a particular area, it's a bit like 'Badge Engineered' cars in that respect.

It is nice, and I personally think good value. But then I'm biased towards bikes of this particular era (-:

I should add that I am currently updating this list with a couple of hundred more bicycles, and thank you for supplying another example.

The list will be published on CABE when done.
You may use this , if you like. Curt. :sunglasses:

DSCF0844.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0835.JPG

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for that - everything helps (-:

As you may know, it's J90786, which is late 1945 (probably Nov-Dec). This is wrong, sorry about that. It should be L90786, 1947. Please see my next post below.

Stamping J on the bb was a real problem because the tail of the J would go missing. It is also stamped with a new stamping tool, in comparison to previous bikes. I think the problem with the curved surface and this tool is why they moved the numbers onto the flat area of the rear dropout shortly after this.

The bike at the bottom of this page is badged the same, and is a similar date, but has the red/white colour scheme instead.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
1st Off , THANKS for the info. I thought '47 My bike has NO ears for a drop stand...............the Red/white bike has 'em. Mine maybe a newer frame style ? Love the knowledge here on the Cabe :cool:

DSCF0892.JPG

Hi Curt,

Thanks for your kind reply, and so I must apologise for giving you the wrong information.

You are quite correct, it's a 1947, L90786.

After your comment about the frame, I went off and educated myself a bit better, here are some other 1947 examples:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/j-c-higgins.6247/#post-205061

It's also noticeable that the same badge shape with different designs on it is often used at this point.

It also reinforces what I said about the problems of stamping a J or L on the bb. I fell for it!

So again, sorry for that. .

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for the update Adrian. It's all making more sense now . Bike manufacturing ,and Timelines are SOOOOOOOO Confusing . All the parts switching ,delays , using up old stock........Multiple brands/Names from the same Maker...........ALL OF IT..................I gotta tip my hat to EVERYONE who has spent the time to do this kind of research. it must have been exhausting ! Heck..................I'm exhausted just thinking about doin' that. ;)

Alright !!!!!! You did it . Lucky no one snagged it while you were contemplating. That bike has a great look to it. Great Color Combo. Great all around. What Tires are on that ? ALSO I think you can get a lenze for your fender light from Cindi Vette or Cindy Vette ............can't remember ( ON Ebay) Ya Dunn Good !

Haha yeah I hear that, It was a plus to find out the tires looked original as they should look. Your tires look nice and fitting.
Oh yeah, for the light, are there specific bulbs or volts/watts to be used with the D batteries? I think the one I have is a 4 watt light bulb. Would a 2 watt be brighter you think?

Back