When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need someone to verify my conclusion on ND Coaster Brake, Thanks.

-
Patee of Peoria or Indianapolis?? I would direct drive hub...track hub type fixed gear skip tooth cog,with lock ring. The Wheelman librarian Bill Smith may have cataloge of Patee, I know later they made pacing motorcycles.

Last edited:
patee pictures, also CABE...search Patee.

Screenshot_20180813-153655_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180813-153515_Chrome.jpg

My Patee is not the racer and it seems to have the '87 seat post and bars. There were a number of these assembled in Kansas in 1899 and badged under a different name (Swell During). This was the year that Patee was in jail in Illinois for accomplice to murder charges and the factory was closed. Parts were shipped from Peoria to Kansas and assembled and sold from During Cycle and Sales. Mr. During was in partnership with my wife's great grandfather and they were in business from 1898 through 1900. My bike was badged in 1899. I'm trying to authenticate the parts. There are some markings on the rear hub but I cannot make it out.

Patee or During (2).JPG

Patee or During (3).JPG

Patee or During (11).JPG

Patee or During (14).JPG

I believe my question has been answered. It appears that my hub is a ND Coaster Brake, which came out in 1898, so I'm believing mine is original with the bike. Thanks to CABE for the help.

ND Coaster Brake (1).JPG

ND Coaster Brake.JPG

Rear hub (3).JPG

Rear hub (6).JPG

Rear hub (14).JPG

Back