When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need to build new wheel for my Bendix 2-speed Kickback hub (blue band)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chris.swain

On Training Wheels
Does anyone have advice for how to go about having a wheel built for my Bendix 2-Speed hub (blue band)?

The rim would need to be 26" and have 28 heavy gauge spokes. The wheel I have now works but the rim has rust damage. So I need to replace the rim. Otherwise the Bendix Blue hub and the spokes are fine.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

26" 28h rims are not that common, especially in vintage.
28h mountain bike rims are available with a little digging.
not certain about this, but maybe you could switch the shell to a 36h yellow band, since 36h blue's aren't easy to find.

I have heard of guys putting blue bands in 26 inch rims but I don't think any of them were very satisfied. The blue band gearing was engineered for 20 inch wheels.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of the blue band being engineered for 20" wheels! Well I used the blue band with 26" wheels from 1987 to 1989 on Mackinac Island and it worked great.

I still have the full wheel and would love to keep it. It's just that the rim is heavily rusted.

Maybe I could remove the 28 hole rim and have it re-chromed.

Anyone have any advice on re-chroming?

In 2020 any chrome work is really expensive, and the price of quality chrome work, good enough to last and not peel right back off, will leave you in shock.

Where did you find 28 hole 26 inch rims in the 80s? I'm thinking that would have been pretty unusual.

The blue band, being an overdrive instead of a low gear, was mainly used in 20 inch bikes and that's why most existing examples are 28 hole. Bendix did offer 36 hole blue band hubs.

Like rustjunkie, I have heard that the yellow band shell will work with the blue band guts. I have not tried it. If it's true, it might be your best way forward. Then build a normal 36 hole wheel.

Thanks Bloo.

You asked where I got the 28 hole 26" rim in the 80s: a friend sold a lot of two-speed kickbacks and knew how to get the right rim. I can try to track the guy down. It was 34 years ago so who knows what he is up to.

Regarding buying a 36 hole shell for the Blue Band Hub: good idea. I will investigate.

Thank you again!

Yes the parts will interchange between the yellow and blue bands. Besides the paint color there are 3 parts that are different. The brake arm, one says overdrive the other says Automatic and model b... either works doesn't matter. The only parts that matter is the driving screw and sprocket. Swap those 2 parts and you can make a yellow a blue or a blue a yellow.

Last edited:
Thank you Rusty Klunker. This is great. I think you are saying I should find a 36 hole sprocket from a yellow band kickback hub and use it to replace my current 28 hole sprocket on my current blue band kickback hub? Then rebuild the wheel using a standard 26", 36 hole rim. Is that right?

Is there a person who specializes in selling these kinds of parts - e.g. specifically just a 36 hole sprocket?

I am seeing a number of different 36 hole rear hubs on ebay but none are explicitly saying yellow band (unless I buy a whole yellow band hub). Do you think this part would work?

Would a 36 hole sprocket from a red band work? Seeing lots of kickback hubs for sale on ebay but not finding any sprockets.

Thank you again! CS

If it were me, I would buy a 26" wheel with a yellow band already all set up in it and sell the blue band. The blue band offers no advantage over the yellow band, it's just set up for a different gearing. If you want a high gearing similar to a blue band, put a larger chainwheel on the front and that should fix that. Since the Blue band is more sought after because the Sting Rays use them, you'll probably come out pretty even on prices and it'll be done. Just my .02.

Back