When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to know a maker

-
Hi, I have this chassis and its a Thomas racer made in Springfield Ohio 1898 , with Thor made products . Came with adjustable bars too , looking for a Thomas head badge

1898 thomas racer left side.jpg

1898 thomas racer rt side.jpg

1898 thomas racer crank set.jpg

1898 thomas racer crank left side.jpg

1898 thomas racer rear frame leg casting.jpg

1898 thomas racer drop outs.jpg

thomas racer catologue.png

1898 thomas racer.jpg

Fantastic..!!!! Nice to see another Thomas surviving.

I'm not sure yours is the "Bre'r Racer" though. Those all came factory "Battle Ship Gray" in color and yours is black like mine. But ... it could be one because it has the number 23 stamped on the seat cluster. That was one size they offered that model in so it actually could be but being in all black color is odd.

I'll research some more here as it could be a Model #22 from 1898 but most likely the #29. I have the full catalogue for these bikes.

NOTE: - also your bike has the 28 front sprocket - this was standard on the Model #29. The "Bre'r Racer" had a 24 tooth front sprocket.

- You show a #20 badge ( which I also have because I've got a #20 also in my collection ) but would be wrong for your bike as the #20 had different rear dropouts. The Model #20 is just called the "Mens Model"

IMG_0141.JPG

Fantastic..!!!! Nice to see another Thomas surviving.

I'm not sure yours is the "Bre'r Racer" though. Those all came factory "Battle Ship Gray" in color and yours is black like mine. But ... it could be one because it has the number 23 stamped on the seat cluster. That was one size they offered that model in so it actually could be but being in all black color is odd.

I'll research some more here as it could be a Model #22 from 1898 but most likely the #29. I have the full catalogue for these bikes.

NOTE: - also your bike has the 28 front sprocket - this was standard on the Model #29. The "Bre'r Racer" had a 24 tooth front sprocket.

- You show a #20 badge ( which I also have because I've got a #20 also in my collection ) but would be wrong for your bike as the #20 had different rear dropouts. The Model #20 is just called the "Mens Model"

View attachment 1685232
thanks !! Badge came from a picture file of badges from Ohio bicycle museum

It looks as though the #23 stamped on the seat tube is the beginning of the serial number.

Looks like one also starts with a #23.....

Here is the only "Thomas" I know of that is on display in a museum. They sent me quite a few photos of this bike several years ago.

If I remember correctly when I spoke to them they said it was a Model #27.

I also have a Model #20 in my collection besides the #29 Racer. The Thomas bike is a rare machine!

NOTE: - the rear dropouts ( which they refer to as "Chain Adjustment and Rear Fork Jaws" ) is a beautiful design!

Anybody else here own a Thomas?

View attachment 1664421

View attachment 1664434

View attachment 1664424
Which museum was this?

Back