When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to know make, model, year... just kidding. just got a new project.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A special Shout-Out to TOM @ "Tom's Bikes" in Bushnell, Il. for 6+ months of help and bargaining, which enabled me to secure this limited frame production bike for a Project Revival. Do you know why I think it's special? Sorry about the dim photo... I just got home with it; and it's a cold, wet, Illinois night! I couldn't wait to show it off.

1962 Typhoon.jpg

It's special because it has the deluxe chrome fenders verses the painted fenders for a 1962 Typhoon? Just kidding. One year frame.

I got that impression from a book about Schwinn bikes I read [friend got from Memory Lane]. BUT, the online catalogs DO show it pictured and called out for two years...[?] 1962 & 1963. This frame IS NOT like the twin Bar frame used for Tornado [and also in 1961 Flying Star & Skipper]. Their cantilever from rear drop-out stopped @ seat post even with top bar. The "twin bars" began below where they ended and ran straight to the head post.

The 1962 Typhoon was a twin straight bar that extended thru the seat stays to the rear dropouts. As far as I know, 62 was the only year for this frame and I have yet to see one with a 1963 serial number. But I haven't been completely around the block yet. ;) The 63 catalogs and dealers prints show a cantilever frame for the 63 Typhoons.

Are you going to do a custom build or go back to original?

I agree... but I HAVE seen '63 catalogs with same photo/description as '62.

Revival will be OEM... just as it came; thanks for your insights!

Serial # is D225993; look-up says 11 April 1962. Part of the revival will be collecting as much 'primary source' as possible to apply to this frames history/use. Catalogs often seem to fall short of the Primary Source accuracy guide-lines...

pappy

Last edited:
Sometime in late '61 they changed to the integrated design. There are a fair amount of surviving Tornados and Skippers to back that up.

Back