When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to remove stuck cups

-

Barry Carlisle

Look Ma, No Hands!
Any ideas how to remove these stuck like chuck cups without damaging them? Thanks.
20161228_172442.jpg

I've always just used a large punch (reversed, large end against the cup) from the opposite side, never caused any damage

I've always just used a large punch (reversed, large end against the cup) from the opposite side, never caused any damage

+1

I use a 1/2" dia. steel shaft. Don't use anything with a small dia. or a screwdriver that could get stuck between the cup and BB shell.

My LBS has a tool that grabs the cup from both sides, makes instant, short work of it, doesn't damage anything, and they gave me curb service - gratis, even. The tool looks like something Caterpillar would build, and none could kluge it's equivalent in a home shop.
Use head v. hard head.

Any solid punch like those mentioned above (nothing pointy, and no big screwdriver. You can ding the edges up.)

Some cups are really tight. Hit it from different angles, like smack one edge, then hit the opposite edge, etc, til it flies across your shop.

Big hammer, big steel bar, wack it............but make sure nothing delicate is standing in the direction of your wack.

First time I did this I realized just in time that the water heater in my basement was about to be the back stop.....in perfect alignment with the control panel where the gas line entered. I doubt it would have damaged the gas line but probably would have done something I didn't like to the controls! :eek:

Back