When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need year identy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cracken32racer

Look Ma, No Hands!
Got another Elgin, can't identify the year, this is s/n SC22241.
Head badge is intact, it is an Elgin

Elgin serial number.JPG

Elgin,new.JPG

Somewhere in that thread (post-73) might be the Western Flyer serial number chart for the bikes that Murray built for their Western Auto stores.

I believe Murray started in 1936, which would correspond to the letter "A" - but maybe Western Auto did not order any bikes in that start-up year.
Most associate that early alphabet code as generally applicable to all of Murray's bicycles, not just Western Flyers.
For Sears, the early Murray-built bikes appear not to be stamped M.O. for Murray Ohio; but are stamped with an "S" (for Sears). I have seen some 1938 SC bikes and 1939 SD bikes, but also a couple of S- Sears Elgin bikes by Murray. For those, no "A" and no "B" - I estimate 1937, (just so that I don't have to go thru the 17-pages again!).
Westfield also built Sears Elgin bikes in this timeframe, and Westfield's A=1936 alphabet code generally matches Murray's A=1936. Not sure if Sears imposed the alphabet code upon Murray (after that first year of S-only codes), to match their other supplier, Westfield. Could have been purely coincidental though.
The very first post in the Murray SN thread shows a later alphabet code which may reflect a post-war restart, and some overlapping sequences.

Last edited:
Very similar to my 39 I'm in the process of finishing. Still looking for those elusive 26" balloon peaked fenders and a tank. I now have a correct fork on it.

Bikes built for Sears have an S in the code, not shown on the chart above. Early models like these don't have the "MO" either.

Here's a picture of the stampings on the BB of what I believe to be a 1940. It has all of the Sears data

SE

MOD 502 191

SER 86642

IMG_20200328_144129640.jpg

Must be pretty close to when the complete Sears info was stamped into the BB

Back