When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need year, info and value for Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mrak1127

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just picked up this Elgin and was hoping for some information on it, like year, are all parts original, approximate current value, comments or suggestions, ect.
Stamped under crank:
SF
MOD 502 208
SER 33185
Is the front wheel original, made by Elgin? The front hub has an oil port and the rim is raised which is different from the rear rim, which is flat(See pics).
Thanks,
Mike

Good looking bike. I'm no Elgin expert, but here is what I can offer.

Not sure about the year, but I'm sure it's Prewar.
It's a Murray Built Elgin
The grips are incorrect
The seat is worth a few pennies and looks to be OG, nice troxel?
The hubs are the Elgin "air cooled" and are OG, NICE!
The rear coaster brace/arm should be secured on the chain stay, not the seat stay
The rear rim is wrong, the front is OG and correct.

Value...tough one. $200-$400 maybe as-is? Cleaned up maybe more, fully restored maybe $700-$900 on a good day.

Last edited:
Thanks, Here are a few more pics. The crossbrace from the handlebars is missing as I see the slots. I guess I'll see what's on the hubs after cleaning them. Wonder if someone replaced the rim or the whole wheel is incorrect. Nice fender paint back then...

I will buy your missing x-bar handlebars, or trade you for appropriate bars, as those bars were not orig. equipment. bike is indeed 40-14 ish vintage. It should clean up well. bri.
.....may have another air cooled rear hub for you too......

I don't know Bri, some of the prewar catalogs I have from Elgin don't have cross braced bars. I'm not sure on that one.

I would however say that on that closer pic of the front hub, It appears there is no air cooled hub...so that may be incorrect. The fender paint lokks OG too, but the flame decals are not ;)

Speculating that your bike probably had torrington half moon bars and a standard neck (not the wald knuckle).
Front hub isn't air cooled, BUT it is mussleman and not always a match with the rear as provided, so wheels probably have been together.
Probably a purest conversation is not necessary here...bath and enjoy the ride.
Chris

Last edited:
A few more pics. So what else isn't original to the bike in your opinions besides the grips? Do you think someone put a different rim on the Elgin rear wheel? Hard to think that Elgin would put different rims on it when the bike was made. Parts are tough to find and very $$$. Any other thoughts?

I have an appropriate stem, bars, and drop center rim, maybe wheel for it...

Back