When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needed Prewar CWC Shockmaster Upper Strut Reference Dimension Needed!

-

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I need a reference height dimension of the upper strut rod for og men's head tube Shockmaster. Note how drawing a right angle first makes it easy to get an accurate measurement. I am working on a '40 model. If you have one apart I could also use the steering tube height from bottom of lower race to top of tube.

Thanks,

Nate VT

20200909_151226.jpg

I got to this job today and all in all it was a success and I think it came out great. I gotta say CWC made a fine quality product using good materials that stands up to time and abuse. And it is remarkably still malleable and machinable!

Notes:

Fairly certain now the shoot for number on steering tube length is approx 6 5/16 to 6 3/8". This is important because if it is too short there will not enough room for the truss plate stack and top nut engagement. If too long there is a risk of the top nut bottoming without exerting clamping pressure. Good news is this length works for many bikes with 5" headtubes.

I made some calculations and I went with a 7/8" truss rod section to achieve the desired 8 1/8" men's length. I did this because the threads are originally rolled not cut with a die. The diameter of the threads is .024" larger than the diameter of the rod. You won't get a good result simply running a die down these. I learned this from experience ruining a pair of ladies Shelby truss rods a couple years ago. In any case to follow this out I made a small v shaped piece out of .012 shim stock to use as a step up in the v block for the rod end to rest and lined it up on center with the threaded end to tig.

If anyone out in Cabeland needs a similar mod done to their fork please feel free to PM or call to discuss.

And this one is now for sale here:

Nate VT
401-548-9082

@jlively970

20200918_123345.jpg

20200918_124344.jpg

20200918_131517.jpg

20200918_131538.jpg

20200918_141648.jpg

20200918_144620.jpg

20200918_150706.jpg

20200918_172735.jpg

20200918_172720.jpg

20200918_172931.jpg

Nice Job @Krakatoa ! Glad that info helped and was accurate enough. I’m really surprised to find that you couldn’t run the die on the truss rods to cut new threads...

Nice Job @Krakatoa ! Glad that info helped and was accurate enough. I’m really surprised to find that you couldn’t run the die on the truss rods to cut new threads...

It was actually the case with the CWC ones being rolled threads. The Shelby I did recently was more straightforward. They were in fact die cut to begin with. I used a 3/8" x 24tpi die to thread those down. My remark regarding Shelby trusses earlier is not accurate I see now. The problem in that 1st case was I used a pipe thread die!

It was actually the case with the CWC ones being rolled threads. The Shelby I did recently was more straightforward. They were in fact die cut to begin with. I used a 3/8" x 24tpi die to thread those down. My remark regarding Shelby trusses earlier is not accurate I see now. The problem in that 1st case was I used a pipe thread die!
So you could use a 3/8” x 24tpi die on the CWC truss rods?

Back