When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needing Information on Raleigh Sprite

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CTony

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good Morning.I came across this Green Raleigh 5sp derailleur equipment Bicycle.I’m not finding to any information on this bike.I’ve searched Sheldon Brown site found little information.Questions are Can rear wheel be replaced?what are my options?And this bike come fenders and chain guard? Upload Photos.

027F224A-E4DA-4A8C-B53E-4AF897F90EC9.jpeg

29806ADC-B8DD-4A53-BE77-0B853F0B80C0.jpeg

F97E29FF-0A5B-433D-B82D-891687DCF2B6.jpeg

3A58F720-7EDE-4E83-A135-40BC6F1E8FAE.jpeg

F691635A-89AC-4FF0-A5B8-18EDD7649EB0.jpeg

From the decals, has a late 1960s to early 1970s era look. The fenders and chain guard are missing. What is wrong with the rear wheel that requires replacing?

Nothing really maybe a really good cleaning.I wasn’t sure if rear wheel was correct.Because there doesn’t look like a front derailleur was ever installed.Worried how chain line would work and maybe that’s why chain guard and fenders are missing.I found these numbers N608955 on seat lug.Thank you for responding back.

It looks like it was a Sprite 5-speed that was just a rear derailleur. It probably never had a front derailleur, but it almost certainly did have a chain guard. The Sprite name included a couple variations: 5-speed internal gear hub with 26 inch wheels, 5-speed derailleur with 26 inch wheels, 10-speed dual derailleur with 27 inch wheels. It looks like yours is the 5 derailleur with 26. If you end up not wanting the bike or upgrading your wheels to more modern stuff, I'd certainly consider buying the wheelset from you. I like having some of those Westrick rims around for my Raleighs.

Last edited:
Search for 1969 Raleigh Sprite and you’ll find what it originally looked like. There will be an internal gear hub version and a derailleur version. Look at derailleur version. Also search here on the Cabe; I made a thread on mine several years ago.

Last edited:
-----

checked the catalogue archive for U.S. market Raleigh bicycles

there was no derailleur geared Sprite model in the 1968 catalogue

for 1969 it is listed but catalogue states it was only available in red in the gents edition

1970 is the first year where it is listed as being available in green, but only for the ladies model

1969 catalogue page -

1970 catalogue page -

1971 may be the first year a gents derailleur Sprite was offered in green for the U.S.

unable to locate a U.S. market catalogue for that year...:confused:

-----

Excellent super sleuthing as usual Roger!
Others have said it and I think I have reason to agree that not all colors were listed in catalogs. My Sprite is all original and I believe it to be ‘69 and it’s bronze green. Here’s why: the pedals are of the rebuildable variety. On my ‘70 loop frame Tourist they are swaged non-rebuildable. On a ‘69 Sports I picked up 2 weeks ago (dated from SA hub) it also has rebuildable small amber reflector pedals. Based on this and other reading I believe’69’to be last year of rebuildable pedals. Thanks bean counters. Like to hear what others think and what they have observed.

25AE2016-0E7F-471E-9500-9FD633C3BD47.jpeg

6B5A5E18-D54E-42D2-AE3E-5B5C8499847F.jpeg

ADCB99D8-8DF6-47E1-B810-2C820CA333A8.jpeg

-----

the pulley "tyres" on your example's Allvit gear mech are already red while those on the subject machine are yet black which makes me think the subject cycle earlier, the red label on the outer casing was something seen for a time in the 1960's

the model 1900 enjoyed quite a long production life with small differences through time, these can sometimes be an aid to dating a particular machine

the various editions can be seen at the velobase.com site

the distinctive shift lever worn on your machine is something Huret offered for a short time in an effort to get orders from manufacturers producing "muscle bikes" & other juvenile derailleur geared models

two designs were offered:

these catalogue pages from a 1969 document

certainly would never argue with anyone who wishes to say that Tube Investments products frequently exhibit variations and inconsistencies! ;)

-----

The rear rim is a Westrick, usually seen on the higher quality versions of Tube Industries bicycles, and no longer available. Sun Ringle makes a nice alloy replacement, if you are really interested in doing that. The alloy wheel works great with Raleigh brakes. You could keep your eye open for a better factory Westrick rim, either complete, or just the rim, and rebuild it. My own stash of good Westrick rims is getting slim at the moment, and I am pretty much over original Raleigh 26” chrome plated steel wheels. Pay attention to how many spokes the hub has when you look for rims, rear could be either 36 or 40. The front could be 32 or 36.

Count your blessings you don’t need 28” wheels.

The bike had fenders and chain guard when it was new. It would have had the Raleigh version fenders with the welded on stays, a single stay on the front, and two on the rear. Cheaper, B tier bikes had zinc plated stays that bolted to the fenders, one stay on each fender. A replacement chain guard will be the version with a clamp on the front, as your bike lacks the welded on brackets on the tubes for the bolt on version. They turn up.

Good luck with your project.

Ted

The rear rim is a Westrick, usually seen on the higher quality versions of Tube Industries bicycles, and no longer available. Sun Ringle makes a nice alloy replacement, if you are really interested in doing that. The alloy wheel works great with Raleigh brakes. You could keep your eye open for a better factory Westrick rim, either complete, or just the rim, and rebuild it. My own stash of good Westrick rims is getting slim at the moment, and I am pretty much over original Raleigh 26” chrome plated steel wheels. Pay attention to how many spokes the hub has when you look for rims, rear could be either 36 or 40. The front could be 32 or 36.

Count your blessings you don’t need 28” wheels.

The bike had fenders and chain guard when it was new. It would have had the Raleigh version fenders with the welded on stays, a single stay on the front, and two on the rear. Cheaper, B tier bikes had zinc plated stays that bolted to the fenders, one stay on each fender. A replacement chain guard will be the version with a clamp on the front, as your bike lacks the welded on brackets on the tubes for the bolt on version. They turn up.

Good luck with your project.

Ted
Just checked spokes the rear is a 40 hole and front is a 36 hole.I have a set of hoops CR 18 alloy I believe they are 36 hole.If I changed out wheels I would need a rear hub.At this point I’m just going to clean and replace.I’m need of tires Cotter pins and maybe bearings job.Was black wall or gum wall tires original equipment?Thank you all for your Time

Back