New Addition Wards Hawthorne

This ad disappears when logged in

Orlan123

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 21, 2015
Hello Cabers,

Well I located a men's bike that I felt looked pretty cool, so I decided to bring it home. Now I have a men's companion to our Firestone Super Cruiser.

You never know about the history of some of these collectibles, who owned them, how many times they've been bought and sold, or traded. I don't know much about this Hawthorne, except for what the fellow I purchased it from told me. It was out there for all to see, unlike my precious Firestone Super Cruiser that slept quietly in a shed very near me for decades.

The fellow I purchased it from said he's owned it for at least a decade and felt it is a 1939 model. He said he is a collector of many things. He may even be a Caber, but didn't say he was.

Anyway, here it is. Please tell me what you think of it, and tell me about it.

Thank you,
Orlando

Hawthorne 1.jpg

Hawthorne 2.jpg

Hawthorne 3.jpg

Hawthorne 4.jpg

nightrider

Look Ma, No Hands!
Feb 20, 2012
Memphis, TN
Nice bike! Looks like a late 30's CWC bent tank. Mostly og, not sure about the seat (could be postwar), Light could be og, or at least period correct. Other members on here know more than me. I'm sure they will chime in.
Johnny

azbug-i

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2011
Tucson, AZ
This is awesome. Probably could have put it in the balloon tire thread it looks complete already haha

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 6, 2015
Creve Coeur, Tazewell County, IL.
NEAT! Really cool find; and a compliment to your Lady's ride... It will be enjoyable watching you proceed; if, you document your progress as before! You've heard the folk here talk about the Oxalic Acid wash. Find and read the thread on here for directions and advise as to how it's done. This bike's paint has had more exposure to harm than your last bike... yet O/A will surprise you in bringing back paint that appears to be totally gone today. Folks use 1 or 1 1/2, you chose, tablespoons of oxalic acid to 1 gallon of water... soak 8 hour, wash, dry, wax. No one using 1 1/2 has complained it was too strong. I have used O/A to clean Chrome and Cad; I have used vinegar [straight Walmart cleaning vinegar and a brass brush]; to clean Chrome/Cad with good results, so long as the chrome has not got rust underneath. Time for vinegar: up to 24 hrs [brush occasionally to monitor.

Orlan123

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 21, 2015
Thanks everyone. I am interested in learning more about the oxalic acid wash. I'll look for the thread on O/A.
The handle bar and seat are pretty rough. I'm thinking of getting replacements for both. I'll probably get started cleaning it up this weekend and see where it goes.

Dumb question on a bike seat or saddle, is a men's designed different from a woman's?

nightrider

Look Ma, No Hands!
Feb 20, 2012
Memphis, TN
Thanks everyone. I am interested in learning more about the oxalic acid wash. I'll look for the thread on O/A.
The handle bar and seat are pretty rough. I'm thinking of getting replacements for both. I'll probably get started cleaning it up this weekend and see where it goes.

Dumb question on a bike seat or saddle, is a men's designed different from a woman's?
womans seat has a shorter nose

Robertriley

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Apr 15, 2010
Riverside, Ca
I'm 100% sure it's a prewar because the downtube is prewar style. I'd say it is a 39 or 40 and I'll check the catalog in the morning. What state did you pick it up in? Cool bike with Cool colors. Congrats!

Orlan123

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 21, 2015
I read John's thread on the oxalic acid wash and am impressed enough to try it on a fender. I stopped by the hardware store and found this. I believe I will try it tomorrow.

Picture1.jpg

azbug-i

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I really only use that to remove rust. I used that exact stuff for the hawthorne but it was covered in rust. That fender looks pretty nice. i.d. try mineral spirits and steel wool. And maybe shine it up with boiled linseed oil after. Remember how my hawthorne looked early on?

mike j

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 3, 2013
Tuxedo Park, United States
Nice bike,here's a girls model. Check the bottom bracket for a number separate from the serial # could be the date code. This one has a 0, which I believe makes it a 1940. Good luck with it.

DSC00520.JPG

Orlan123

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 21, 2015
Thanks for your comments and advice everyone,

I am having second thoughts on the Oxalic Acid wash. I may experiment with an old rusty sign I have that needs cleaning.

I think I will try the WD40 and steel wool method on it and see how it goes.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture