When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Addition Wards Hawthorne

-

Orlan123

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello Cabers,

Well I located a men's bike that I felt looked pretty cool, so I decided to bring it home. Now I have a men's companion to our Firestone Super Cruiser.

You never know about the history of some of these collectibles, who owned them, how many times they've been bought and sold, or traded. I don't know much about this Hawthorne, except for what the fellow I purchased it from told me. It was out there for all to see, unlike my precious Firestone Super Cruiser that slept quietly in a shed very near me for decades.

The fellow I purchased it from said he's owned it for at least a decade and felt it is a 1939 model. He said he is a collector of many things. He may even be a Caber, but didn't say he was.

Anyway, here it is. Please tell me what you think of it, and tell me about it.

Thank you,
Orlando

Hawthorne 1.jpg

Hawthorne 2.jpg

Hawthorne 3.jpg

Hawthorne 4.jpg

Nice bike! Looks like a late 30's CWC bent tank. Mostly og, not sure about the seat (could be postwar), Light could be og, or at least period correct. Other members on here know more than me. I'm sure they will chime in.
Johnny

This is awesome. Probably could have put it in the balloon tire thread it looks complete already haha

NEAT! Really cool find; and a compliment to your Lady's ride... It will be enjoyable watching you proceed; if, you document your progress as before! You've heard the folk here talk about the Oxalic Acid wash. Find and read the thread on here for directions and advise as to how it's done. This bike's paint has had more exposure to harm than your last bike... yet O/A will surprise you in bringing back paint that appears to be totally gone today. Folks use 1 or 1 1/2, you chose, tablespoons of oxalic acid to 1 gallon of water... soak 8 hour, wash, dry, wax. No one using 1 1/2 has complained it was too strong. I have used O/A to clean Chrome and Cad; I have used vinegar [straight Walmart cleaning vinegar and a brass brush]; to clean Chrome/Cad with good results, so long as the chrome has not got rust underneath. Time for vinegar: up to 24 hrs [brush occasionally to monitor.

Thanks everyone. I am interested in learning more about the oxalic acid wash. I'll look for the thread on O/A.
The handle bar and seat are pretty rough. I'm thinking of getting replacements for both. I'll probably get started cleaning it up this weekend and see where it goes.

Dumb question on a bike seat or saddle, is a men's designed different from a woman's?

Thanks everyone. I am interested in learning more about the oxalic acid wash. I'll look for the thread on O/A.
The handle bar and seat are pretty rough. I'm thinking of getting replacements for both. I'll probably get started cleaning it up this weekend and see where it goes.

Dumb question on a bike seat or saddle, is a men's designed different from a woman's?
womans seat has a shorter nose

Back