When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Addition Wards Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm 100% sure it's a prewar because the downtube is prewar style. I'd say it is a 39 or 40 and I'll check the catalog in the morning. What state did you pick it up in? Cool bike with Cool colors. Congrats!

After all that..It looks like a 41 according to catalog..?
20160226_081300.jpg

I read John's thread on the oxalic acid wash and am impressed enough to try it on a fender. I stopped by the hardware store and found this. I believe I will try it tomorrow.

Picture1.jpg

I really only use that to remove rust. I used that exact stuff for the hawthorne but it was covered in rust. That fender looks pretty nice. Id try mineral spirits and steel wool. And maybe shine it up with boiled linseed oil after. Remember how my hawthorne looked early on?

Nice bike,here's a girls model. Check the bottom bracket for a number separate from the serial # could be the date code. This one has a 0, which I believe makes it a 1940. Good luck with it.

DSC00520.JPG

Thanks for your comments and advice everyone,

I am having second thoughts on the Oxalic Acid wash. I may experiment with an old rusty sign I have that needs cleaning.

I think I will try the WD40 and steel wool method on it and see how it goes.

Back