When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New American Pickers episode at Guys bike shop

-
To tell you the truth, without researching I would not know if they got a good deal or not on these bike parts. The producers try to make them as entertaining as they can.

One thing I do know, is many of these reality shows are just a big production. One of my high school friends was a key character on one of them. The producers hand picked the cast from the actual employees they wanted to display on air, and encouraged story lines to be acted out in front of the camera. The show my friend was on got canceled, he said he hated doing what was asked while it was on the air.

Back when I got it, I always enjoyed the show American Pickers, It was just cool to see all the stuff.

"Bajaway", asked, who would offer more?
I have in the past on e-bay buys. Sometimes I buy local items cheaply, and ask if it would be possible to pick them up after the sale. If the seller says "ok", when I go to pick the item up, I will often give the seller a tip for saving me some dollars on shipment costs. I've also had sellers refuse the tip.

Last edited:
same applies to Antiques Roadshow (PBS) and, especially, Pawn Stars.
Anytime antique fishing tackle has turned up on both shows I mentioned, their expert evaluations were clueless and always Way over-valued.
Over-valuing the items (especially when they don't really know) is their key to "entertainment value"
The appeal for "reality" tv has always escaped me.

In the case of the subject Pickers, their online store is the clue they're trying to sucker you twice.

The Pawn shop show out of Detroit is fairly accurate.
I worked part time at one for 10 years and the out raged customers, using a bouncer, people bringing in weird stuff, that is all true.
You could make a movie about any pawn shop in a big city and nobody would believe you about the people and the crazy stuff that goes on.
Sort of like the bike hobby!
As for American Pickers, it's as real as "Mountain Monsters"!

Wait!

what?

this one.....how much was the autocycle tank?

when you are a loaded $$$$$$ you only pay a pittance for good stuff....

......we on the other hand.....

: (

He beat him down to $475 for all those tanks? Pretty crappy if you ask me.

Re. the low prices paid and the people who call them to come over, the fact that it's a tv show inevitably distorts the "reality" of it. I'm sure many, many people would happily sell their stuff for a few dollars less to appear on a tv show. A small sacrifice for their 15 min of fame in their thinking.

It's just a show I enjoy...Mike and Frank seem like pretty normal people who just got lucky doing a show about stuff most of us love...Hel, I would trade places with either one of them just to rummage thru banns and sheds - wait! I do that now for free!

The only reason I have continued to occasionally watch the show is that you can learn something really cool about old things and some of the sellers are kinda cray-cray and that's interesting, too.

I visited Guy Coopers and did some buying there, a few others on here did as well, Guy had some
interesting stuff to say about the TV show stopping by. ...😏

Back